Author Topic: Old Wooden handled driver, well made  (Read 13301 times)

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
Old Wooden handled driver, well made
« on: April 12, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
Gang,

I found an old wood handled screwdriver at the "Dirt Mall" this weekend that followed me home. It looks to be a quality piece of some age, but I need some help identifying this rascal. Most of the finish on the handle is long gone and I suspect the OEM or Brand might have been painted on the handle.

There are some faint stampings on the shank but rust has done it's work in obscuring these stampings. Here's what I can make out:

MULTIGR???... or maybe MULTICR???... I'm just guessing it might be MULTICRAFT, but it's far from certain.

Here's a couple of photos for your inspection:

The handle appears to have been stained maroon or mahogany with a lacquer finish over the stain.

The metal cap at the bottom of the handle has no stampings on it but is a two-piece affair with an interesting joint in the middle. This might be a clue as to the OEM/Brand.

Any help or leads appreciated (scottg-- feel free to chime in, as you are the king of woodies).
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline rusty

Re: Old Wooden handled driver, well made
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
I think it's a Herbrand MultiGrip.....

(Anyone have an early 50's catalog?)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:42:08 PM »
I think it's a Herbrand MultiGrip.....

(Anyone have an early 50's catalog?)

rusty,

Thanks for the lead.  I may have a few herbrand, bonney, and utica catalogs I can check.  Will let you know what I find out.
Be right back...

I'm back... I checked the 1937 and 1966 Herbrand catalogs.  Both had wood handled drivers with similar but not exact profiles.  There was no mention of the "Multigrip" trade name.  I also checked 1937, 1947, and 1967 Bonney catalogs, and the 1966 Utica catalog.  Same story as Herbrand.

I don't have any Herbrand catalogs from the 1950s.  Perhaps someone else can help fill the 1950's gap.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:19:10 PM by lauver »

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 06:58:53 AM »
The metal cap at the bottom of the handle has no stampings on it but is a two-piece affair with an interesting joint in the middle. This might be a clue as to the OEM/Brand.
Any help or leads appreciated (scottg-- feel free to chime in, as you are the king of woodies).

I've seen this before, but can't remember where.  It seems an odd arrangement.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »
Branson,

I does seem an odd arrangement, but I'm sure there is some method to the madness that we just can't see yet.  Perhaps someone else, maybe scottg, can explain the purpose of this arrangement.  He seems to know a lot about these old woodies.

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »
How about this: It has a "removable" flat blade, that is what that drive notch is for.
Knock it out and put in, say a phillips?
Makes mechanical sense.
Molon Labe

Offline Dakota Woodworker

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »
I'm thinking like mrchuck that it's some kind of early multi blade screwdriver.  Very interesting find.
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline kxxr

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
It looks like it could be a Winchester but I don't know who the OEM for them was. There is not much certainty on the topic of who made Winchester branded tools. I don't recall them having the notched sleeve but I do remember seeing it before, just not where. I would have guessed Winchester but danged if I can find a picture that shows it. If it comes to me I'll post, so long as you promise never to call me the "King of Woodies". Not much danger of that tho, I guess :)
I borrowed this picture from http://www.antique-used-tools.com/misc_nonstan.htm
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:07:25 AM by kxxr »

Offline kxxr

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »
Here we go, a shot of the notch on a Winchester. Similar but not exact?

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 12:22:28 PM »
How about this: It has a "removable" flat blade, that is what that drive notch is for.
Knock it out and put in, say a phillips?
Makes mechanical sense.

I think I can find one when I get home.  I'll check it out, but as I recall it didn't pull off for a different bit.  Makes mechanical sense to work this way, I agree.

Offline rc.moto

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 12:45:05 PM »
This screwdriver is pictured in my 1916 Motorcycle Riders Supply Company (MORSCO) catalog. Its called a "Champion" and comes in five sizes 2 1/2 to 8 inch (blade length I assume). Same handle pattern and same notched ferrule. Also shown in 1914 Motor-cycle Co-operative Co. catalog. Called "Champion pattern" and only offered in 7 in. overall with a 3 in. blade. Picture shows same notched ferrule but handle pattern is slightly different. No mention of removable or interchangeable blades in either catalog.

Offline Dakota Woodworker

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »
The  notch must have something to do with keeping the blade from twisting loose in the handle.  Seems like a pretty unique idea they had.  Neat little wood handled driver for sure.
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 01:16:19 PM »
kxxr,

"King of the woodies" is high praise.  Have you seen any pic's of scottg's shop?  The walls are papered with all manner of wood handled tools.  It's impressive.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »
Gang,

Thanks for your thoughts on possible OEMs.  At this point I'm not ruling any possibilities out.  I'm going to try and find some useful documentation (i.e. catalogs with good photos and descriptions, trademark registrations, patent registrations, etc).

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 03:28:06 AM »
This screwdriver is pictured in my 1916 Motorcycle Riders Supply Company (MORSCO) catalog. Its called a "Champion" and comes in five sizes 2 1/2 to 8 inch (blade length I assume). Same handle pattern and same notched ferrule. Also shown in 1914 Motor-cycle Co-operative Co. catalog. Called "Champion pattern" and only offered in 7 in. overall with a 3 in. blade. Picture shows same notched ferrule but handle pattern is slightly different. No mention of removable or interchangeable blades in either catalog.

Hello, is there any chance I can have a scan of these pages you speak of either posted here or to my e-mail jhason2@yahoo.com Thanks
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.