Author Topic: 9" Bluegrass Plane  (Read 4901 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
9" Bluegrass Plane
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »
I went on a stroll today figuring I would go have a look inside an old house that is on my grandpa's old place.  The house isn't lived in, and never was at that location....moved there and used for storage.

ONE of the things I found was this 9" Bluegrass plane.  I would say it is in descent shape and will probably clean up real well.  I can't seem to find a marking on it other than "Bluegrass".

Two question I have if anybody is able to answer them.  1) should there be marking other than the name (and where if you know), and 2) what is so special about this 9" Bluegrass plane listed on Ebay for $220 ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-BELKNAP-HARDWARE-BLUEGRASS-PLANE-T-BG-704-9-/320582310077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa431d8bd#ht_9532wt_1185
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Dakota Woodworker

Re: 9" Bluegrass Plane
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:04:33 PM »
It looks like  the size of a Stanley/ Bailey No.4 Smooth Plane.  The Belknap Bluegrass logo is a nice one, should be on the blade if it is the original blade.
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 06:26:31 PM »
Bluegrass was on Belknap Hardware tools. They were a large hardware supplier, Google them.
The price looks high to me, but I am no plane collector. The original box and paperwork raises the value a bit, despite condition.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 09:41:33 AM »
Bluegrass was on Belknap Hardware tools. They were a large hardware supplier, Google them.
The price looks high to me, but I am no plane collector. The original box and paperwork raises the value a bit, despite condition.

Looks high to me, too.  But Bluegrass seems to be "collectible" in some circles.  As a "collectible," the price will be much higher due to the box, original wrappings still in it.

It's a pretty standard smoothing plane -- there's not much different in dimensions.  I have a couple of Stanleys, and dimensionally, they're about the same as the Baker and Ohio and no-name I have.  It wasn't made by Stanley (look at the lateral adjustment lever). 

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 10:51:37 AM »
$220 is pie in the sky.
 Condition is everything!  ( I have seen a bottle worth $40,000 mint, sell for $1,500 because of a tiny lip chip.)
 And mint in the box is the top condition.
Still, I would think ~$120 would be more reasonable for this, a standard #4 size plane.

Just guessing from the look of it, I would bet your plane was actually made by Union or maybe Auburn.
It could be a Sargent I suppose, but it looks more like one of the other two. All three were in business around when I suspect your plane was made. 1920-40's at a guess.

The logo on the blade will be near the top.  It should be on the face but people sometimes put them on upside down, so check both sides.
     yours Scott

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:16:09 PM »
Thanks yall.  I need to do some cleaning and then I'll report back on my findings.

Still, I would think ~$120 would be more reasonable for this, a standard #4 size plane.

Thanks, Scott!  I wasn't so much interested in trying to value you this one (it has sentimental value) - rather trying to understand why the one listed on Ebay (that I found while researching mine) was so high IMHO.  It's pretty, has box, paper work, blah blah - but $220 just seemed high to me and was interested in feedback.

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
I wasn't so much interested in trying to value you this one (it has sentimental value) - rather trying to understand why the one listed on Ebay (that I found while researching mine) was so high IMHO.  It's pretty, has box, paper work, blah blah - but $220 just seemed high to me and was interested in feedback.

Does the seller also have a Stanley #199 box cutter for sale?

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 06:00:08 PM »
Does the seller also have a Stanley #199 box cutter for sale?

LOL - Good point, Branson