Author Topic: Cute pipe wrenches  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Bill Houghton

Cute pipe wrenches
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »
I picked up a cute little pipe wrench at a sale lately and thought I'd post it, together with the cuter littler one I've had for years.

The angled-jaw wrench is the new one.  It's marked "Lawson/Ushco Mfg. Co. Inc./Buffalo, NY, USA" on one side, and "Drop Forged Steel" on the other, and is about 8" long with the jaw closed.

The wood-handled wrench has lived in my general-purpose-but-especially-cars toolbox for years, and is, really, a reminder of when I owned cars* that used pipe thread on some of the components.  7" long with the jaw closed, is a Walworth Mfg. Co. wrench, so marked in a couple of spots, with "Stillson/Registered Trade Mark" in a diamond-shaped logo in others.  I didn't know until looking it up just now that Walworth originated the Stillson pipe wrench design.

*1949 Studebaker truck, 1973 Volvo, maybe some others.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:00:27 PM by Bill Houghton »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Cute pipe wrenches
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 06:11:05 PM »
The Stillson is a keeper, and a good user. Looks like early design, which hasn't really been improved on to this day.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rusty

Re: Cute pipe wrenches
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 06:23:33 PM »
USHCO aka US Hame Co ...
Also used the name US Body & Forging, under which they made Truck and car bodies in the early part of the century for Dodge, Plymouth, Willys erc..

Gottfrid Lawson's wrench patent was almost an afterthought, ;P

Nice article about the auto side of the company here:  http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/u/us_body/us_body.htm

(Caution! The above site will distract you for hours)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:31:28 PM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.