Author Topic: J.M. King Adjustable Die Block  (Read 10068 times)

lzenglish

J.M. King Adjustable Die Block
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:13:16 AM »
I found the 3 in one J.M. King adjustable die block a few weeks ago, and found this one yesterday. This is a single die, and is smaller than the smallest die size on the other one. Now if I can find the taperd tap to complete the set, I will be happy.

Wayne

Offline Branson

Re: J.M. King Adjustable Die Block
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 09:48:57 AM »
Way to go!  But look for two sets of taps each -- we have the same two die sets ...

lzenglish

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
Thanks Branson! I just seem to run into these rare creatures, as of late. Anyway, I wanted to ask you, If the Fort has any connections with doners, etc., to find these period tools, or do they leave it up to you guys to find them on your own? Now that I'm looking real hard for the companion Tap, Murphy's Law may take over, and I may never find one!

Wayne
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:29:14 PM by lzenglish »

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
Thanks Branson! I just seem to run into these rare creatures, as of late. Anyway, I wanted to ask you, If the Fort has any connections with doners, etc., to find these period tools, or do they leave it up to you guys to find them on your own? Now that I'm looking real hard for the companion Tap, Murphy's Law may take over, and I may never find one!  Wayne

Mostly, the Fort used to take 'em however they could find 'em.  They got a lot of anachronisms and a lot of junk.  Now, I believe, acquisitions are acquired through an approved "rehabilitation plan."  Any tools required for any of the house museums are documented and listed in such plans (everything must have been precisely available in 1845).  Usually, the author(s) of a plan have to find them on their own.  Listing sources for tools or appointments and/or approximate prices is part of the plan.  The plan, once authorized, gives those in charge a shopping list.  Everything has to be run by at Parks and/or by the Sutter's Fort Rehabilitation Project. 

When we did the carpenters shop rehab, we scoured flea markets, antique stores, and even modern tool makers (if the product was 1845 or prior design).  Ah, the wild and ineffable joy of buying tools at another's expense!  We even had my vintage plow plane reproduced -- joint project from Viet-Namese carpenters and a local machine shop for the skate, skate bolster, and foot and adjustment screw and plate.

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 02:16:41 AM »
 Wayne How old is that catalogue? I have  taper taps with both a square end and rectangular end as the one in your cat...  I have  been under the impression that the rectangular ends were pre 1850!
Graeme

lzenglish

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:49:26 AM »
Wayne How old is that catalogue? I have  taper taps with both a square end and rectangular end as the one in your cat...  I have  been under the impression that the rectangular ends were pre 1850!
Graeme

Graeme: I don't know how old the catalog is, as I borrowed the picture from the Internet. I believe I need the square headed tap as a companion for my die blocks. If you have any for sale or trade, Please shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

Wayne

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 07:28:12 AM »
Wayne How old is that catalogue? I have  taper taps with both a square end and rectangular end as the one in your cat...  I have  been under the impression that the rectangular ends were pre 1850! Graeme

The rectangular ends may be pre-1850 in design, but were still in use as late as 1863.  Tap handles with rectangular openings were issued to artificers of light artillery.  Measured drawings were made by Captain Mordecai, and we used those to make this tool for the California Historical Artillery Society.

Offline lazyassforge

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 01:17:09 PM »
Well, That settles that question it is a blacksmith tap!
Thanks for posting the picture from the catalog.
Bill D.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:18:51 PM by lazyassforge »

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:20:26 AM »
Graeme

The catalog is on Google Books. It's a 1895 Chas. A. Strelinger & Company Catalog.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ouAJAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA148&lpg=PA148&dq=inauthor:%22Chas.+A.+Strelinger+%26+Company%22&source=bl&ots=OGaLsO_JP_&sig=TjAUvS6QmV287RfYKx5k44b9qvk&hl=en&ei=njz4TbvfBIWt0AH8o9ioCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 09:27:25 AM »
I'm wondering about the taper on this tap.  I usually associate tapered taps with pipe fitting.  How did the taper figure into tapping regular holes for the dies?  Anybody know?

lzenglish

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 10:08:13 AM »
I'm wondering about the taper on this tap.  I usually associate tapered taps with pipe fitting.  How did the taper figure into tapping regular holes for the dies?  Anybody know?

I watched a blacksmith on the Roy Underhill Woodwright show explain how this was done. You run the tap in one side, then run it in the opposite side of the blank nut, till you have a snug fit to the male threaded bolt, axel, etc. You were right on the money with the rectangular period design Branson.

PS.Thanks for the excellent link to the Strelinger catalog "Bus"

Wayne.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:10:38 AM by lzenglish »

Offline Branson

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 10:57:11 AM »

I watched a blacksmith on the Roy Underhill Woodwright show explain how this was done. You run the tap in one side, then run it in the opposite side of the blank nut, till you have a snug fit to the male threaded bolt, axel, etc. You were right on the money with the rectangular period design Branson.
Wayne.

Thanks!  Do you know what episode this was in?  I'd really like to watch it!

lzenglish

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 12:14:03 PM »

[/quote]

Yes, it was episode #3013 "Field Gate Hinges" featuring Master Blacksmith Peter Ross. It is available to watch online.

Wayne

Offline Branson

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 04:20:04 PM »
[/quote]
Yes, it was episode #3013 "Field Gate Hinges" featuring Master Blacksmith Peter Ross. It is available to watch online.

Wayne
[/quote]

Thank You!  Great show (as usual) and had all the basic information about the process.  Imagine: Swedging the threads instead
of cutting them.  I had no idea.