Author Topic: A handle or 2 for Scottg  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Branson

Re: A handle or 2 for Scottg
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 05:13:23 PM »
I think I'll take a plain old hickory handle instead, one in a design that has proven useful and practical over the centuries.  Custom finger grooves?  Custom to whose fingers?

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:32:51 PM »
I aggree with branson.

Even though its a very nice looking handle and the craftsmanship looks great Its just not my style. I am sure someone will love it thoe.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:33:27 PM »

Yea, I'm sure the fellow put a lot of work into it, and it is well executed, but,somehow, yellow, orange, and chrome just strikes me as ....gaudy..

And somehow I suspect it doesn't function any better than my 1950's boy scout hatchet...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »
To pretty to use. After all the work someone went to I'd hate to mess it up.

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 08:35:45 AM »

And somehow I suspect it doesn't function any better than my 1950's boy scout hatchet...

I'll bet they don't work as well as your scout hatchet.  They aren't made to work; they're made to
look at.  You can't comfortably choke up on either of them.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:26:12 AM »
This is the Oregon guy. There is another one from either Idaho or Utah, I forget.
I love them but they are definitely built for show. You'd have to -really- trust your life to all those glue joints, if you were taking one into the wilderness.

Its pretty understandable how they both came to this. Trying to  get a decent piece of hickory when you live 2000 miles from the nearest tree..............
People keep threatening to send me hickory, but so far I am scrounging the dump like a maniac and hyper careful at yards sales to never miss any good stock.

Oh, I don't think the heads are chromed.
 Regular full polishing is how many of the old axes were sold in the first place. They will tone down in time.  I have polished many an ax (and other tools too).

But have been bluing most heads lately.  You polish first, then blue. It still requires care but lasts longer in hard use.

I don't think its much faster to make, I've been using figured madrone for handle stock. Madrone is not usually a good handle wood. But once in a while a tree grows defective, with the grain all twisted and bound up inside. Then its nearly indestructible. Carving it is like working some soft stone.
 Here is an ax handle I made for a neighbor. Its his kindling ax. We  all use wood stoves here.

The hammer below in my latest garage hammo. 
  yours Scott

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:41:45 AM by scottg »

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 06:42:44 PM »
>Trying to  get a decent piece of hickory when you live 2000 miles from the nearest tree..............

Then there's second best:  white ash, the standard of Europe (where hickory doesn't grow).    Easy stuff to find in Sacramento.  Just picked up a 7 foot  real two by real four last week.  Grain is wonderful, straight, and will take care of an Italian hand forged ax head I acquired some years ago.  The recently bough Spanish hatchet head will get a dash of this ash as well.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 11:16:26 PM »
Scott,
Louisville Sluggers are made from the best straight grain hickory and St Vinnys sells them for $3 each. Softball bats are bigger, but they are harder to find.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan