Author Topic: School, tooltalk, an friends  (Read 6114 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

School, tooltalk, an friends
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:46:13 PM »
I just finished my junior year of highschool, as of Friday I am now a senior in highschool. Its been a rough year as you can probably see my english skills are very poor an I only had 2 classes this year english and speach class. Those are probably the two hardest classes I ever took. The rest of my day was spent at a vocational program for construction trade. I would wake up at 4 be at the technical center by 5 work one hour in classroom then a few in the workshop building structures for the fire dept to burn as practice. Some days we would go to actual jobsites. Then I would go to school have two classes and be done for the day. Sometimes after school I would go to the technical center to get in extra practice or go to jobsites. JROTC and the technical program has been great for me. Middle school was such a struggle as ime not what many consider average, I cant even begin to explain the struggles I faced. U.S Army JROTC was a great program in Louisana, honestly its what kept me in school. After my freshman year we had to move back to illinois, and I started a technical program here. It has been great. Things got better as far as socially goes and ive accepted I am who I am. As far as my eddication goes it has been hard to sit in a science or math class and keep focus with my dissabilty, but I was able to find a way to make it through highschool and still get a deploma. I still have a hard time staying focused in english and speach but I did it, and will continue to do it next year.

I cant thank you guys enough in the friends I have made here. I always thought before that how could you make friends on the net, but this site changed my thoughts. In my personal thoughts I feel that we have the best forum on the web. I have to give a big thanks to Noel for all he has done along with all the other site contributers. I cant say how great this group has been.

I start a fulltime apprenticeship with a construction company soon so I wont be on much in the summer along with that ime working 2 other side jobs so that will keep me busy. I wont forget you guys and will do my best to check in often.

Thanks for all you have done an the friends I have made here.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Nolatoolguy

Re: School, tooltalk, an friends
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 11:50:49 PM »
Also a thanks goes out to Cliff as he is the one that got me onto this site. I posted a youtube video(one below) an he messeged me telling me about the site. I signed up once stayed for ten minutes an then didnt look back for another few monthes an now you guys cant get rid of me.

Wow that was all the the way back in aug of 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-hE7ATL-18
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 11:53:16 PM by Nolatoolguy »
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 02:30:46 AM »
Congratulations! I always read your posts even though I often don't respond. My experience has been that there is a big difference between what they teach in school and what you need in the working world. You just wrote an excellent post and no one but a teacher is going to care if you can't define the verbs, adverbs etc. I have to agree with you in that you are not average for at least 3 reasons.
1-You know what you are interested in and good at.
2-You know what you are not good at.
3-You are willing to work hard to do the best you can.
Keep those 3 skills and 4-manage your money and you will do well.
If I had those 4 skills at your age it would have saved me a lot of  problems I created for myself over the years.
Most of those average ones will be 30 before they learn those 4 things if they ever do.
Give yourself a pat on the back!
Neal

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:33:47 AM »
I agree with Neals. You have gotten yourself to where you are by perseverance and determination.

We are fortunate to have you here with your youthful approach to life and dedicated interest in it.  Too many take the easy way and leave it to others to do for them rather than learn to handle life and its tough times themselves.

It is a pleasure to have young folks such as you to temper the older ones of us.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:09:10 AM »
 Congratulations!
You know, I'm proud of you.    You have fought your way uphill and not given up.  I am happy to see your successes.   I, too, read all your posts.  Your presence here is a really good thing, not just the tempering that Papaw mentioned, either.   It's really a pleasure to know that someone younger will carry on the interests that we hold so dear.

Like Neals said, you just wrote an excellent post.  The whole point of English is to communicate, honestly, and you have done that.   I don't know why teachers make English so scary.   It shouldn't be, and I say that as a former English teacher.  You read just fine -- there are things that could be polished, but you communicate.

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »
Goes both ways. You have actually "tutored" many of us.
Thru your posts, we have a full understanding of the steps you have and are still taking,, to get your diploma.
Keep up with your schedule, you will make it.
Molon Labe

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »
Great post! You are a GREAT communicator. I agree with what everyone said before me. Great attitude and perseverance are the things that succeed. No one ever succeeds by giving up. Keep up the good work!

John
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 12:48:50 PM »
It's been my pleasure to get to know you.  I have a very high regard for you.  I only wish more of America's youth were more like you....hard working, good ethics, respectful of his country and others, practically educated, and a gentlemen of his word (which I've witnessed personally).

PS : Although I've never commented - My wife and I have both long enjoyed watching your youtube videos.  My wife has an affection for you that started with your screenname alone.  She has always loved New Orleans and associates quickly with anything related.

Congrats on another "notch under your belt", and my best wishes to you as you move on to the next part of your journey.  Please don't just go "poof" and leave us behind.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 04:10:47 PM »
Thanks to all you guys I try to do the best I can.

Neals the verb, pronoun etc,  expeically puncuation and comprehnsion is what I struggle with. Teachers seam to not like that and "your going no were in life if you dont know your adverbs" is one of the many things I had a teacher tell me. But whatever, I take it with a grain of salt and know that at the end of the day they dont know me nor do they know my plans in life. Many things I have to re read expecially when it comes to textbooks ile have to read the thing four or five times to somewhat understand it. Anyway, I do agree with those 4 things in life.

Like papaw said to many people take the easy way out, personally I dont want that. I would much haver have less but know I earned it compared to someone who has tons of stuff but got it all handed to them.

Branson I had no idea you were a english teacher, nor do I know why they make it so hard. I have a feeling you were a good teacher thoe. I communicate my way, maybe not the correct way cause I know if you nit pick it its not so great.Expecially when I talk in real life ime always going back and changing what I type. But I think its understandable to most.

MrChuck I plan on keeping up with it, and thanks ile make it one way or another :)

johnsironsanctuary I couldnt aggree more, no one every is succesfull when they give up.

oilyRascal I can also say its been good getting to know you(and everyone else as well) I try to keep up with my word even when Ime wrong I still take ownership and admit I screwed up. I havent uploaded in a while cause my camera is broke but need to do a new one soon, I know there nothing special but I have a few friends down south that watch em every now and then so I put a few up.

Thanks guys
~Lee Greenwood

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
Like my son says...

Proud of you!!

As an old guy, I envy all the adventures that lie  ahead of you.

I wish I had your focus and gumption when I was your age.

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline Branson

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 10:17:35 PM »
>...the verb, pronoun etc,  expeically puncuation and comprehnsion is what I struggle with. Teachers seam to not like that and "your going no were in life if you dont know your adverbs" is one of the many things I had a teacher tell me.

But you *do* know verbs, pronouns, adjectives, and adverbs!   You use them correctly all the time, in all your posts.  I can't remember the last time I needed to use the terms (probably on a high school test).  What the teacher was really telling you is that he or she didn't know how to teach you.

There is so much just plain crap in teaching English.  For over a thousand years, there was no English grammar -- grammarians started out in the 1700s to make a grammar.  They made it up.  They tried to cram English into the grammar of Latin, which doesn't work because the languages work differently.

They were deluded into thinking there was a "one proper way" to speak or write English.  Not so.  Like every other language in the world, there are different dialects.  Middle English uses double and even triple negatives, because they were accepted by English speakers and writers (like Chaucer).   Standard Educated American English evolved from the English spoken in and around London.  Where the powerful lived.

Some people say et instead of ate?  Sure.  Different dialect, and one that kept the proper Old English pronunciation.  "Learning" somebody is really ignorant, right?  Nope.  Old English did have "tachan," from which we get "to teach," but it also had "laran" which also means to teach.  Laran is very close to "leornian" (in form) from which we get "to learn."

Which sounds scarier, "I speak a different dialect" or "I speak bad English?"  Completely different ideas, hunh?  Which way will a person be better able to learn?  Through interest in something new? or through shame?

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 11:37:34 PM »
Warmed my heart to read this thread. I would also like to add my congratulations for your achievments so far and best wishes for your future.
Graeme

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »
I am waiting on a call from my soon to be foreman sometime by thursday to figure out witch jobsite I will be at. Hopefully its close by.

Skip thanks, I know the adventures ahead will be very good but ime sure there will be a few bumps in the road along those ventures. I try to stay focused, expecially for saving moeny to buy my own truck. I keep seeing all these good tools to buy thoe.

Branson That is a very good way of putting it, never thought of it like that. I remember when I first came back up from louisana everyone at school is like why do you say y'all, mama, soda, etc ime like its just stuff I got use to saying down there.

Anglesmith thanks, I try not to get all emotional on you guys but after all you are my friends

~Lee Greenwood

Offline Branson

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 06:27:28 AM »
>Branson That is a very good way of putting it, never thought of it like that. I remember when I first came back up from louisana everyone at school is like why do you say y'all, mama, soda, etc ime like its just stuff I got use to saying down there.

Them's the facts, actually, nothing more.  Thinking of it like this will probably help you with English stuff.

Having both "you" and "you all" in my vocabulary allows for better precision.  I like precision.  And it is simply more polite, as it was intended to be.  I like that, too.

Words are tools.  I like to have a lot of them so that I have the right tool for the right job.

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 08:29:09 AM »
...... after all you are my friends

Neil,

I think I speak for everyone when I say this--You are our friend as well!!!

I enjoy your videos, and have enjoyed the youthful view you bring to this forum. You will do well in all you pursue in life. I just know it.

Don't forget to check in with us from time to time this summer, so we can keep up with what you are doing!!!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.