Author Topic: School, tooltalk, an friends  (Read 6115 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

Re: School, tooltalk, an friends
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
Got a call on were ile be. This monday ime starting at a jobsite about 20 minutes away so thats not to bad.

Branson that actually makes sense, words are tools in another form.

Keykeeper Thanks, I try to be myself and the youthfull approach comes out. I wont forget to comeback. I will be on a little but just not that much once I get started.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 06:14:30 AM »
keep up the good work some day you will be telling us all the new processes and skills that we don;t know about yet. just learn something new every day and practise practise practise
  bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 01:02:53 PM »
UGG

Ime pretty pissed off right now. Looks like ime out of a job. I found out today ime being laid off friday. I know its a tight industry and thats part of it but it pisses me off. Basicly what happened is they hired me for the summer and finished the job an then laid almost everyone off. Wait you tell me "you have a summer job and will work every week" and then a month later its over. Its one thing to hire someone for a few weeks but dont tell them its all summer long. I am pretty pissed off but as I look at it in retrospect its not all to bad cause I have some moeny saved up and dont have to support a family so its not horible but what about the guy whos worked there 18 years and has a wife and kids to support. I know its part of lifes struggles but its just very frusterating. Well luckily I left my old job on good terms and called my old boss back and ime welcome back next monday for just several hours a week is all he can give like before.
~Lee Greenwood

Online skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 02:04:41 PM »
You are getting some life lessons out of the way early.

I bet each of us on this list have been boned by an employer at least once, many of us multiple times.

It's a tough economy and there isn't  a lot of work to go around.

And its early in the summer, so you have time to find something else.

And you don't have to live under a bridge because of it.

So all in all, it's not so bad.

But it sure hurts right now.

Tomorrow morning , go find a better job. there IS one out there for you.

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »
Almost every employer is wishing he had another good worker. They are hard to find. The trick is to convince them you are that worker. Make a full time job out of looking for work and something will come up.
One of the tricks I have used and seen others use with success is to show up at a jobsite at before starting time and check to see if they need anyone that day. Be ready to go to work on the spot. Mondays are the best as lots don't show on Mondays or are late, get fired or quit.
My day would start at the cafe where the workers go for morning coffee or brekkie before work. Put out the word you are looking for work. Chat with the workers, and listen to the gossip. Don't forget the waitresses as they often know who just quit of got fired and who is hiring.
Next stop a jobsite or 2 or even 3 if it goes quick.
By 10 am switch to touching base with contacts, check newspapers and drop off any resumes etc.
Others can no doubt add ideas to this.
Keep us posted

Offline Branson

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »
I sure don't blame you for being pissed off!

>Its one thing to hire someone for a few weeks but dont tell them its all summer long.

There's a word for this: lying.  Misrepresentation is another.  But maybe not.  They could have been simply over optimistic about the amount of work they could find to do.  Maybe some business folded on them, too.

Neals had some really good suggestions! 

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 10:24:11 AM »
Congratulations. You have a good attitude and that is a big factor in the working world, Neals offered some great advice and I agree with him 100%.I ran my own construction company for many years and your type of attitude was one thing I looked for.Best of luck to you and keep us posted. Jim

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 08:32:31 PM »
Thanks guy, you all had some good words to say.

I didnt mean to sound like its the end of the world but its just frusterating.

And yes I will deffinitly be looking for another construction job as working in a wharehouse was ok an working with my cousin is ok neither is something I like or plan to do longterm. There just something I did to get me through an provide a few bucks.
~Lee Greenwood