Author Topic: I never seen one before  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
I never seen one before
« on: June 10, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
Marked w&b co. No luck on google on either the tool or the maker. My wild guess is for riveting but no proof.

Offline Donny B.

Re: I never seen one before
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 12:24:13 AM »
......................... My wild guess is for riveting but no proof.

I hope someone confirms what it is for so that we both know. I have one very similar that I always presumed was for riveting.

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 02:37:02 AM »
It’s a tinner rivet setting tool, and it looks like it was made from an old rasp...
http://www.northwaysmachinery.com/product_detail.asp?ItemNumber=C.S. Osborne Size 0 Tinners Rivet Setter
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 06:55:52 AM »
I have three or four rivet setters.  Mostly, the ones I have appear to have been made up rather than manufactured.  One came in a tin box filled with rivets.  Handy tools.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »
I have one that I purchased new. Mine is used with copper rivets with washers. I use it for making heavy duty leather items. Once you have a hole for the rivet you place the rivet into the hole and place the washer on the shank of the rivet. You use the deep hole to set the washer onto the rivet clamping your pieces together. The shank of the rivet is tapered so the washer is more or less press fit onto the rivet shank. Then you use the shallow hole to peen the rivet over onto the washer. Sometimes you have to cut the rivet shank down to make a neater looking job. They work great with copper rivets I never used one with steel rivets.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 10:12:53 AM »
 I would guess Whitman and Barnes as the manufacturer.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 10:58:24 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 03:10:23 PM »
Riveting commentary, guys!

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »
I just found another one today!
Mine has the kurling on the sides as well.
 The one I got is a #9, bummer for me. This is for a big rivet, probably 1/4" shank size. Most of my work is smaller.
But I see them so seldom, I never pass one up.   8)

In use, I pein the rivet mostly freehand, and use the set for rounding the head in the final phase. Rounds over real nice.
Besides official rivets, I will often use nails or rods or various metals, brazing rod, aluminum nails,..... whatever the condition warrants. 
   yours Scott

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 12:58:29 AM »
No number on mine that I can see. The hole in the end is just over 5/32. The one in the side is a bit larger but also not very round so may be damaged as the tool has been used hard.

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 04:33:04 AM »
I go through a lot of copper and brass rivets building and repairing armor for friends that are in the same medieval reenactment group that I am in. I use my rivet setter to set the washer then peen the rivets with a ball peen. 
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 03:50:40 PM »
No number on mine that I can see. The hole in the end is just over 5/32. The one in the side is a bit larger but also not very round so may be damaged as the tool has been used hard.

Come to look at it, yours really is rode hard! None of mine show this much wear.

Making a rivet head look real pretty with a hammer alone, is harder than just using the dome part on one of these.
  The dome makes it all smooth and rounded with just a couple swats at the end, and folds down the "hem" the edge of the mushroom, real nice.
  Maybe some people can just use the rivet set for the whole shebang, but I am not this good. I will bend the rivet if I try to use just the set alone. So I peen until the mushroom is formed well all around, and then, the set.     

I have made a couple of my own sets out of hard bolts.  Just the dome part, for finish work.
 Just cause I can't find enough rivet sets. Bolts don't work as good, they have so much less mass.
 But its better than poke with a sharp........

I don't get to use copper washer/rivets  (rivets n roves as they said) very often anymore. 
 They jacked up the price some years back.
I still have some but now they are kind of precious.
    yours Scott   
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:40:34 PM by scottg »