Author Topic: A whatzit hanger  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
A whatzit hanger
« on: June 11, 2011, 10:44:35 AM »
Marked Kastar. Looks like it clips on a tool box to hang something on but what?

Offline keykeeper

Re: A whatzit hanger
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 03:45:45 PM »
Now that is interesting, Neals. Thanks for posting the closeup photo.

If it was intended to hand on a toolbox, then maybe to hang air-conditioning service gauges or something?

Is there any patent info. or numbers on it? That could help in the search.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »

For hanging your shirts up in your car....

Kastar has several patents for poatable clothes hangers, tho I can not find oine exactly like that, the slot design rtesembles the design on one of the patents. Kastar was advertising them, mid 50's in Life, no pictures that I can find tho, so still somewhat of a fuzzy guess....(folded over part goes in the window channel, slots hold coat hangers)

Early designs use an adjustable post, ceiling to floor instead of a folded edge, or so it seems...
http://www.google.com/patents?id=Qi5pAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&dq=kastar+%22clothes+hanger%22&hl=en&ei=-9vzTbeZHIWatweTvL2JBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=kastar%20%22clothes%20hanger%22&f=false

Open to comments on this one tho...(ok, I'm always open to comments - P)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Donny B.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:59:10 PM »

For hanging your shirts up in your car....

I'm with you, Rusty! That's what I would have thought from the look of it. The fold hooks over the window before you wind it right up and the coat hanger hook goes in to the slots. We have used similar ones designed to hang behind the door of your room for extra hanging space.

Car windows were very useful things. Remember those trays that used to hook on to them for service at a drive-in restaurant...............and your food was brought out by a pretty young thing, possibly on roller skates.

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 10:08:21 PM »
Thanks guys! Now that you told me what it is I remember seeing one in a salesmans car when I was a kid. Maybe not the same but the same idea.

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:25:47 AM »
[quote author=Donny B.  Car windows were very useful things. Remember those trays that used to hook on to them for service at a drive-in restaurant...............and your food was brought out by a pretty young thing, possibly on roller skates. [/quote]

Don't forget the speakers at drive in movies!

lzenglish

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:52:16 AM »
AND, let's not leave out the "Window Mounted Ram Air Evaporative Coolers", that we use to fill with water and Ice, for Maximum Cooling Effect!! Lol

Wayne