Author Topic: Good Day at the Pawnshop  (Read 5567 times)

Offline kxxr

Good Day at the Pawnshop
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:08:05 PM »
I got all these goodies for a price that I would gladly have paid for the hammer alone. I have a question or two on some of the items, I'll post those up later. For now, here's what I got. I got a great deal, but pawing through a fresh load of unclaimed pawns is priceless, plus, I skipped out of work a little early to do it. I find it very relaxing; therapeutic even.
Oh, the little SK wasn't in the pawn group, I just happened to have it in my pocket when I emptied everything out for the picture. The SK is the giveaway for the 16th. More on that later.

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
Re: Good Day at the Pawnshop
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 09:40:19 PM »
I got a great deal, but pawing through a fresh load of unclaimed pawns is priceless, plus, I skipped out of work a little early to do it. I find it very relaxing; therapeutic even.

X2 !!  Therapeutic indeed, clears out the craziness work tends to clutter up your mind with!!

I heard people say they found braces like that in the wild, but I have never even seen one close to the quality that you found two in.

Nice Haul !

Brian L.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:14:31 PM »

Whose hammer? Looks familiar but not placing it.

Fully enclosed ratchet braces are nice. Are they Stanleys?

Who made the stubby drivers?
And what are the 1/4" ratchet looking things with the black handles? 

nice stuff
 yours Scott

Offline kxxr

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 08:21:06 AM »
The hammer is an older Hart Tool Co "Hart Trimmer" is forged in the head.
The darker brace is Miller's Falls and the lighter color one is Sogard.
Red stubby is Mac, yellow is Proto and the little wooden one is unknown, but I think I have one like it out in the garage. I'm a sucker for anything with a little bit of design feature.
The ratchet looking things are just flat steel with about a 10 degree bend on the business end. One has a 1/4 drive and the other is 3/8. They don't ratchet, they're just thin.
I'll try to get some closeups today. Thanks for asking.

Offline kxxr

Re: Good Day at the Pawnshop - Close Ups and some new things added
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »
Ever since I first saw one of these Tuffy screwdrivers, for no good reason I've wanted one. I found this one, brand new in the tool store for $6.95.

Here's a better view of the Sogard and Miller's Falls braces I got yesterday. I honestly wouldn't know a good brace from Homer's watch fob, but I intend to learn.

I think the small chisel I got yesterday is Marple's and I have it pictured here with my only other Marple's for comparison. The screwdriver bit is Irwin. All of the brace bits I got yesterday are Swan and Irwin.

A couple better shots of the Hart hammer.

Another nice W Germany pliers. They just don't make them this way anymore. That's just a sun streak on the handle in the last picture.

The first Bonney pliers I've seen.

Does anyone know the intended function of the little red hook thing. I guess it is meant to have a cord woven through the holes so that it closes when tension is applied, but I don't know what for. The screwdrivers will clean up nicely I think and I couldn't pass up the unusual 1/4" and 3/8" drivers. They don't ratchet, but are meant to fit into a tight clearance situation I think. They are stamped US Patent D396.785.

I also got these linesman pliers yesterday, I can't quite see the maker mark, maybe Channellock, but they are well made. The fancy compound pliers I've had for a while, just never took a picture I dont think.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:54:11 PM by kxxr »

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 09:47:29 PM »
Red Hook thingy is a lockout tagout piece for electrical panels. Everybody working on the piece of equipment is supposed to put a padlock in one of the holes. The hooks close around the disconnect switch so somone can't turn the power on and injure someone.

Offline rusty

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:57:45 PM »
>Patent D396.785

This is a somewhat strange patent, it is a design patent, normally, design patents are only about how something looks, not how it works, so the inventor usually doesn't bother to say what the thing actually does, or is used for.

However, this patent was split between a utility patent for function, and a design patent for looks, so we get some information about what it is....

And what it is, is a poor mans ratchet replacement....
http://www.google.com/patents?id=YPsCAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA4&dq=D396.785&hl=en&sa=X&ei=8wvUT7WjJYfD2QWNgaGoDw&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=D396.785&f=false

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »
I seem to recall a recent description of the red hook thingy, but I didn't think of it as I looked at this thing. Thanks for the reminder. I will probably use it to hang something.
And as for the poor man's ratchet ... I got the poor man angle covered too. Thanks guys.

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 04:48:21 AM »
Photos are great, is that Hart Trimmer a Farrier's hammer? It looks too small for a framing hammer.
Graeme

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
Millers Falls is among the top braces ever made.  They made a wide line though. More than anyone.
From the lowest to the highest grade.
  Your is about 3/4 of the way up the food chain, and in fine condition!

It looks like the other one is direct copy, made decades later.  Probably in Europe.

Jas Swan has the highest respect of any mid century US maker, as far as the augers goes.
Irwin was the biggest and cheapest, and "good enough" drills to boot. So they outsold everyone else.

Those little pliers are dynamite!! Dental for sure and probably orthodontic.
 I bet they were over $100 new. 
   yours Scott

Offline kxxr

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 10:59:16 AM »
My hunt for info on the Sogard brace led me to georgesbasement.com
An interesting site and he makes a Millers Falls/Sogard connection. The Sogard name is still in use but not for braces it sounds like. The one pictured on the site appears identical to the one I have.
http://www.georgesbasement.com/braces/SogardBrace/SogardBrace.htm
I tried them out ... such a satisfying way to make a hole in wood! I saw a "Ted" lecture in the Capitalism Paradox series on Netflix where the speaker said (among other interesting things) that the average power drill is "on" for only 13 minutes of it's entire existence. I've got that beat with my braces already and haven't made a thing.
I salvaged those pliers from the scrap tray as the tip of the jaw had a little gouge in it. I re-ground it and they are good for some very serious squeezing now. I love the 'gold' trim. I have had the opportunity to browse more than a few surgical instrument catalogs, and I can tell you, when it comes to price, Snap On ain't got nuthin' on the surgical instrument guys. And warranty?? I don't think so. The 'new' price of that particular instrument is very high indeed... I looked it up but don't recall the exact number. I should know the name of it but don't recall that either. I would like to see a truck bringing those tools around to the hospital though, it would likely say "Pakistan" on the side instead of Snap On :)

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »
  How cool you found George!!
 That is George Langford, a true old tools pioneer and a swell guy!!
  George knows about drills!! His collection is the best there is.

He has the two rarest Millers Falls eggbeater drills I ever owned on his pages.
 Both the only ones ever recorded!
 First, I found a solid brass frame eggbeater.  An early prototype before they even got going! Never supposed to be loose.
  I wish I had it back for a day so I could make a better handle for it. It came to me with nothing but I made it long ago. I could definitely do better now.  Kind of embarrassing having my name on something so crude.

Then, the second one, I was just looking for a drill to use, and found a sweet little thing in nice shape for 10 bucks free shipping on Ebay.
  I got it, and tried it, and put it away in the working tools.
 One day I got curious and looked it up at Geroge's place of course. 
Couldn't find it.
  It didn't look so different from the common models, but it was different enough I knew it wasn't the same model.   Still couldn't find it
 I write
 "Hey George, you got the list screwed up again, and out of order!!  I can't even find this standard looking little drill!"
       George says "Oh groan, you can't even find a standard drill?  What are you screwing up now?? 
Alright go ahead and send me the pictures and I'll break down and do it for you...weenie!!"   
   (old friends)
 So I send a couple pix.
 --4-- seconds-- later he is on the line, and he is on fire...........
 "Stop the presses Bub, this is too important and these pictures aren't good enough.
 You get me better pictures RIGHT NOW!!"
         heehehehehehe

When it comes to drills George doesn't have, he is going to get the best from me.
 He deserves it, he works hard to share his knowledge.
 And besides, he is very generous with swappage.
  He swapped me a laboratory grade B&S micrometer in dead mint condition for the first drill,  ( a simply gorgeous thing too fine for me really, but then so was the eggbeater heh)
 and a pair of 1860's tailor shears in fine shape for the second drill.
 I found out he also collects the best shears, and I had to have a piece of that!
  yours Scott

Offline kxxr

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 04:27:42 PM »
The name did have a familiar sound. I wasn't sure where I had heard it, but it would have been on this forum somewhere. A google search for "Sogard Brace" has his website first up.

Offline sumner52000

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 07:25:12 AM »
The red thing is a lockout device for industrial uses.  A disconnect can be cut off and this is then attached and each person puts their own lock through the holes.  You cannot turn disconnect back on until everyone is finished working has removed their own lock.  Keeps people safe when used correctly.