Author Topic: Don't be fooled!  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Don't be fooled!
« on: June 11, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »
The existence of a swastika on a tool is no indication that the maker was affiliated with The Third Reich, nor a follower! Some sellers play up the swastika on wrenches to sell higher. Some buyers see no further than the emblem and buy these tools for the wrong reasons.
Witness The Buffum Tool Co. of Louisiana, Missouri-
According to Cope, on page 81 of his second edition of "American Wrench Makers 1830-1930", Buffum was a maker of adjustable nut wrenches and twin alligator wrenches beginning circa 1909. Their tools were marked with a swastika. The swastika has been a good luck symbol in many cultures ranging from ancient India to Native American tribes. Hitler used it and it has become a symbol of evil since.
Here is an example from my collection-
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
Re: Don't be fooled!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 09:32:34 PM »
Unfortunately the majority of the populace will never be able to see this symbol for what it truly stands for.   
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Last weekend we were at a garage sale looking for whatever. The owner had a bunch of stuff on a shelf with a sign that said NOT FOR SALE. One was a bronze bust of a indian chief with a round medallion  around his neck with a swastika on it.
EvilDr235 

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 12:22:07 AM »
Some symbols develop associations or meanings outside their original meaning and the swastika is one of them. There are one or two vendors at one swap I go to that sell nazi memorabilia albeit somewhat covertly. Most of these items sport a swastika.  There are still many who lived through those events and the nazi connection to the swastika is intractable to them as well.

When I see Buffum tools it still gives me pause and I get queasy for a moment even though they had nothing to do with events or political movements in Germany.
All my taste is in my tools.

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:40:57 AM »
Some symbols develop associations or meanings outside their original meaning and the swastika is one of them. <snip>
When I see Buffum tools it still gives me pause and I get queasy for a moment even though they had nothing to do with events or political movements in Germany. 

It gave me a start when I found the swastika on a Buffum cold chisel that belonged to my grandfather.   But there was a time, not so long ago, when the symbol didn't carry its current baggage.  There's a house in Sacramento that has a swastika worked into the brick work of the fireplace and chimney -- contrasting colored bricks form a two foot swastika.  More innocent times...

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 03:35:13 PM »

The problem with symbols, any symbol, is how easy it is to turn it into something foul.

Remember the peace sign? Greatly loved and respected by many.
Or chickenfoot, depending on where you lived and who your friends were at the time.

See how easy?
Symbols are not a very good idea, IMO. Just too fragile.
The best symbols are the ones that can't be defined. Can't really put a finger directly on it. The ones you live everyday.   
  yours Scott