Author Topic: square nuts  (Read 11691 times)

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
square nuts
« on: June 13, 2011, 06:15:17 PM »
A little of topic but interesting. the first complete restoration was a 1946 Piedmont tractor, every nut and bolt was removed every part cleaned and painted . When i put it together i replaced a lot of rusted bolts, I wanted it to be perfect for it's first competition.
the judge came to my tractor and said, you did a wonderful job but i can not judge this machine because the square bolts and nuts have been replaced with newer type six sided . I searched for a week for bolts and nuts( I threw the old ones away)an old lady in the post office heard me talking to a friend about the bolts and said that her late  husband had a pail of ol bolts in her cellar that i could have.  My tractor got six straight firsts in the next shows . bob w.

TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
Re: square nuts
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »
NEVER throw anything away!

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »
Especially square nuts!
A friend of mine that restores old Indian motorcycles once lost a point in a show because two nuts on the bottom of the front end were not Parkerized like the originals! He did win, however, with a score of 98.5 in a scoring system that deducts from 100.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:01 AM »
As always don't forget to checkout the bible of hardware, McMaster Carr. They have several styles and finish selections of square nuts in their catalog as well as square headed bolts. The square headed bolts will carry the current grade markings but those could possibly be removed if required. I have also found that Fastenal will special order items not normally carried. I don't know if they would or could special order these.

Offline Donny B.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:16:51 AM »
I never discard a square nut!

Offline bc_z

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 05:18:14 PM »
scolded once - lesson learned - many of the independent hardware stores will still have a great stock of square heads, if new is what you need.  Great comeback!!

bc_z
bc_z

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »

I TOTALLY AGREE
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 08:59:45 AM »
scolded once - lesson learned - many of the independent hardware stores will still have a great stock of square heads, if new is what you need.  Great comeback!!

bc_z

I could not find small brass square nuts to finish my Gerstner tool box.
As I was not able to fix the wood damage I decided to clean up the PO repairs by using brass hardware. I ended up ordering them online via a dealer and believe they were sourced overseas.   Nobody locally or online seemed to stock them. 

Brian L.

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 09:33:05 PM »
I'm ashamed to say this but I just scraped at least 6 buckets of square nuts and bolts that were in my garage taking up space.I replace them on my equipment with better grade hex bolts and nuts.It's more convenient to use hex.  :-[

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 08:10:13 AM »
I'm ashamed to say this but I just scraped at least 6 buckets of square nuts and bolts that were in my garage taking up space.I replace them on my equipment with better grade hex bolts and nuts.It's more convenient to use hex.  :-[

Nuts.  Next time send them out.  I constantly use square nuts, for example,  in various living history applications.  Have to,  for the sake of authenticity.  Besides, I like their look.

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 09:28:03 PM »
Anyone who needs square nuts, square head bolts, square head lag bolts all in black finish as well as carriage bolts in black finish, contact Blacksmiths Depot (828) 667-8868 or Back to the Land  (931) 764=0034
"Never laugh at live dragons" Bilbo Baggins "The
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

http://www.plantshepherdplus.com

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 07:19:07 AM »
Stoney,

I've dealt with Blacksmiths Depot. Great folks to deal with. Top notch service!

As for the topic of square nuts/bolts, I just "rescued" about 10 pounds from some "junk" my brother hauled off from a friends father's place. If I would not have went through the stuff, it would be bound for the scrapyard right now!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Branson

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 08:33:49 AM »
Anyone who needs square nuts, square head bolts, square head lag bolts all in black finish as well as carriage bolts in black finish, contact Blacksmiths Depot (828) 667-8868 or Back to the Land  (931) 764=0034

Thanks for the info.  I had good luck with Kayne and Son (Blacksmiths Depot) some years ago, but didn't know they had the square nuts -- or maybe they didn't when I did business with them.  Both are online.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »
I've got a couple hundred pounds of NOS 1/2" stovebolts in the original boxes both round and flat head stashed in one of my trailers.  Might get around to putting some on ePay since the boxes are probably collectable to somebody.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »

AMEN to that!!!!!  Whenever you're restoring a vehicle, machine, etc., NEVER EVER discard any original parts, including the nuts and bolts!!!!!!  Even if you don't use some parts because they are unsafe or deteriorated beyond restoration/use, keep them simply for reference purposes.  When I was reading the original post, I knew where it was going, and my head almost exploded!!!!!!

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member