Author Topic: Old Valve Seat Tool  (Read 4771 times)

Offline Provincial

Old Valve Seat Tool
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:19:47 PM »
Can anyone identify this old valve seat cutter?  It appears to be for installing and cutting insert valve seats.  The directions refer to "Nu-Seat rings", which appear to be inserts.  It came in a wooden box with the instructions on the lid.  The directions say it is a Model #677.  The printing of the instructions looks like pre-1930.

I can email a larger version of the photos.

Thanks,
Jock

Offline rusty

Re: Old Valve Seat Tool
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:02:37 AM »
The Edward o'malley valve co, of Chicago made the 'Nu-Seat' Valve insert for faucet repair, it was a brass insert that screwed into the faucet in place of the original cast in seat. The tool(s) bored out the old seat, and threaded the edges , and the brass 'nu-seat' insert was screwed into the faucet. They made various levels of kits including a metal boxed app in one kit, down to simple t-handle home owner kits. The simple kits are advertised in Pop Sci in the late 40's-50's; The nu-seat insert is listed as 'new' in the 1948 edition of Milk Plant Monthly.

I am assuming yours, with a wood box , is early , as the references I see list a metal box later...

Did not find anything matching exactly that kit tho...

The company may know more...they are still around, not bad for a 1910 company ;)

http://www.omalley.com/about/

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:04:45 AM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »
Where do we put this tool? Not automotive or motorcycle.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »

hmm

Motor homes have faucets -P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Provincial

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 01:35:53 AM »
The largest recess cutter measures 2", so I don't think we're talking shower valves here.  The whole set is made to bolt down to an engine block with the 90 degree adapter casting, so I think this is for automotive engine valves.

I, too found the O'Malley website, but don't think it matches this tool.  Perhaps they made this as a sideline?

Offline pritch

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »
The company website mentions O'Malley starting out on boilers and locomotives. That would figure to both bigger than a faucet and something that would need the tool to be bolted to.

BTW, I think I have some of those faucet inserts around the house in some of dad's old stuff. I'll have to look when I get home this weekend.

Offline Provincial

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:51:37 PM »
I have since found a tag on one part of the tool that identifies the maker as "S. Smith Tool Company, Reedley, California."  A Google search provided information that the full name of the company was Smith Tool & Die Company and they were closely associated with the JADSON valve company of the SF Bay area that made high performance and racing valves in the 1920's and 30's.

Smith also built brake drum lathes and line boring equipment, according to an article online.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 05:25:04 PM »
Nice detective work!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline The Blue Pepper

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 01:01:28 AM »
Hi. I bought one of these at a yard sale and the guy told me it was on old drill. Come to find out it is not. What I want to ask is have you figured out how to use it?