Author Topic: Blackhawk tool box  (Read 4129 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
Blackhawk tool box
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:22:15 PM »
 Got a Blackhawk tool box at auction today. The decal in the lid called me very loudly. Its a pretty big box (20x 7 x 6) and I can't imagine what went into it. Alloy  lists some sets but didn't find anything on No 14 BD set. Anyone know what went into such a set?
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Blackhawk tool box
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:00:24 PM »
Those kind of boxes scream at me, Please!  get me out of here, you got room, I'm going cheap, you know.    Have started filling up my excess storage spaces now, with these little boxes that demanded I take em home.    That is a wonderful decal, so surprising to see it has survived.  The lock on mechanism is interesting, somebody with the right catalog ought to be able to date it, but seems like 1920s to me.  Was anything inside?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »

The size and shape of the box is typical of boxes for 3/4 drive sets, and the lockon socket instructions would hint it at least had sockets in it...

Awesome logo

The picture shows the release tool, I think that went away in the mid-late 30's when Blackhawk added a button to the socket so you wouldn't need a seperate release tool....

AA references a 1931 catalog mentioning 'Chief' socket sets....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
 Rusty you are right (as usual). BD14 was a 3/4 drive lock on socket set. Alloy had some info I missed on first search. I believe the 69999 rat I got at same auction probably was part of original set. As at most auctions everything was separated and scattered. I bought the rat before I bought the box (about 2 hours later). Now I'm kicking myself because they sold some mixed sockets and I didn't bid on them. Some were 3/4 drive and were mixed with some Snap-on sockets and brought pretty good prices. May be two or three days before I run into any 3/4 drive lock-on sockets. cest le vie.
 Posting pic of my new rat. It does not have date code like Alloys. Wonder why ?
 Since I'm so much smarter Wed than I was Mon,I wonder how smart I'll be by Fri ? Thats a retortical question and does not require a retort.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline stanley62

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »
Is there only one size tool to remove the lock on sockets, or does each size drive have its own tool?  I ask, because I know you have a tool to unlock the sockets.

Jim
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:13:56 PM »
 I'm guessing one tool covered all sizes since it has different size projections for at least two sizes. 9004 tool is only one I have seen and is only one listed in Alloy.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 01:12:03 PM »
 Found 8 lockon sockets on E-Bay which would look right at home in this tool box. Unfortunately they sold for $185 plus $11.35 shipping which was at least $2 more than I was willing to pay. Luckily I didn't embarass myself by bidding.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline stanley62

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »
Add those to the list of things to look for at the swapmeet!!  $185  WOW!!!

Jim
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »
Your set is earlier, but by 1953 a 14B set contained:

No 69999 ratchet is listed and the 69987 is a Bald Head...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:35:05 PM by lbgradwell »

Kijiji King