Author Topic: Sickle bar section remover  (Read 5858 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
Sickle bar section remover
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:33:04 PM »
 Bought this tool yesterday. Tag said (sickle bar section remover). It may have usage to remove knives from a sickle bar but I assume it is also used to detatch chain. Maker or model seems to be (Queen) Haven't found this reference. Can someone confirm usage or have experience with this tool.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Aunt Phil

Re: Sickle bar section remover
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »
It's claimed to be a useful device by every manufacturer who made a version.

The concept of the tool is to function as an anvil for knocking rivets out of a knifebar and riveting new knives into place.  The 3 slots on the right are supposedly very useful to take wows out of bent bars.

Reality seems to be a little different from concept though, and most discussion of these devices I've been involved in or overheard usually involved some dang fine cussin, a bit of hammer throwing, and replacement of the "tool" by a rock or hunk of railroad iron.

My personal preference always went to a 6" chunk of rail with a few appropriate holes drilled in it.

You often find these "tools" in 2 or more pieces indicating some farmer delivered a fatal blow with a large hammer.

Sometimes you find them in rich people's houses with felt pads on the feet and all painted up.  I have no idea what purpose they serve there.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
Re: Sickle bar section remover
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:30:19 AM »
It's claimed to be a useful device by every manufacturer who made a version.

Sometimes you find them in rich people's houses with felt pads on the feet and all painted up.  I have no idea what purpose they serve there.

Doorstop?