Author Topic: scythe wrenches? is this accurrate?  (Read 10082 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: scythe wrenches? is this accurrate?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 04:13:32 AM »
Yes it is.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 09:02:51 AM »
The wrench in the upper left hand corner of that listing looks like a tool post wrench.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »
This is one of those times, when reading Tooltalk, that I feel like I have been living on another planet all of these years. I have owned several sythes. I have successfully sythed twenty or thirty feet of hay in a field before my shoulders were yelling for mercy. I have owned several of the little wrenches and never knew their purpose. Still, after all these years of farm auctions, tractor shows, threshing bees and tool flea markets I had never heard of a snath. I suppose the next logical thing to happen will be Rusty casually informing us that it was patented in 1814 by Sir Reginald Snath in Stubblefield England. My ignorance never ceases to astound me.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »

The earliest patent I can find showing a scythe-snatch wrench is No. 144 issued on March 11, 1837. No. 7 in the patent drawing is the wrench.

http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?pn=144&id=44947

A more conventional scythe-snatch wrench is shown in an "Improvement in Scythe-Snatchs" Jan 9, 1900 patent. I suppose there are numerous other snatch patents.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=YAN2AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=641122&source=bl&ots=g_TLOiDnYs&sig=l-a9Zy4SiCqGYje_o3LHsPDTrhw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ETsIUPPxLsGM2gW7woy2BA&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=641122&f=false

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »
The wrench in the upper left hand corner of that listing looks like a tool post wrench.

I am fairly confident that that wrench is snatch wrench. It looks like the wench attached to the salesmen sample in the bottom photo. There are a couple of the double box end wrenches in the second photo that I am not sure are snatch wrenches.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 01:49:39 PM »
They all look like snath wrenches to me.  The smaller end on the double ended wrenches will fit the nut on the scythe handles.  I have seen them in smaller and larger sizes (although they are always smaller than the snath wrench end).  I have not seen any snath wrenches or handles with the square box end like some you have.  I guess it may be a regional or company difference.

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 10:28:33 PM »
The one wrench that looks like a tool post wrench is embossed with the number "206".  I have one of these, and it is definitely not a snath wrench.

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 12:26:18 AM »
The one wrench that looks like a tool post wrench is embossed with the number "206".  I have one of these, and it is definitely not a snath wrench.

Your probably right. I misunderstood wvtools I thought he meant my picture but I see that he meant the ebay listing picture.

Tracy Phillips

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 09:32:12 AM »
I have about 25 of these wrenches I just found out what they are how do I find out how old they are

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 10:03:56 AM »
I think it would be a daunting task to determine age since most of them are unmarked and so many different ones came with scythes by many makers.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Chuck Garrett

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 09:46:55 PM »
Incidently there is a small stump anvil that is used to sharpen sythes and sycles with a hammer. Using a file removes material and shortens the life while using a hammer and anvil doesnot remove material.   The olden days thrift.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 03:53:35 AM »
i think they are scythe wrenches, but rare, not really.
"Rare," in eBay-speak, of course means "First ones I've seen."
.....this week!