Author Topic: nj auction 6/15/11  (Read 4272 times)

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
nj auction 6/15/11
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:09:54 AM »
went to joisey last night saw a lot of old friends and bought a couple things
a ratchet set from Chicago mfg and distribution co,
a box of pressed sockets
and a double 6 in adjustable  possibly billings
i would love to post pics BUT   bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: nj auction 6/15/11
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:36:48 AM »
Bob, I am not sure why you can't post pictures. What happens when you try?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:04:42 PM »
Where at in NJ?

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »
Bob, I am not sure why you can't post pictures. What happens when you try?
noel, i have no trouble on any other forum but here it says that the pics are to large one day and then the next day or two i am able to sneak one through.i am to damn old to start resizing photos then sending   bob w.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »
Where at in NJ?
just outside of sussex njbob w.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:09:40 PM »
Im with Bob on this one, the pict are to small to allow anyone to pick up the details of what is trying to be shown, it says 250 is the max sixe, for some reason I can sometimes slide by with a 300 but someone would have to save the image on their comp and then try and blow it up later to view it and by then it is too blurry. I dont know anything about saving pict on some other site and I dont want to learn because things have always worked fine until things are changed at someone elses end. There must be a way of fixing this to allow a bigger size without having to maintain a whole nother website to do it.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 05:00:16 PM »
I am by no means an expert on digital photography or the internet. I was in my 50's before I ever touched a computer. But over the years I have been forced to learn (usually by trial and error) enough to construct a website and take thousands of pics for my auction catalogs.

I think the problem people are having when posting pictures is confusing the physical size or dimensions (e.g. 600px by 800px) with the quality or resolution size (not sure this is the correct term) which has to do with the quality of the picture (e.g. 56.78kb or 3.09mb). The larger this size the longer it will take to load.

The 250kb limit would refer to the resolution or quality not physical dimensional size. Below is a "What's It" from an email from wrenchmensch. The original pic as uploaded measures 900px by 559px but has a resolution size of only 67.78kb. It uploaded fine (but slowly) and shows a picture 250px by 559px. When you click on the small picture the original 900px by 559px is shown.

An unedited picture straight from the camera (depending on the camera resolution settings) can be an extremely large file. Some email pictures I receive can be up to 3 or 4 mb. When I had dial up they could take over a half hour to download.

If the pictures are to be shown on the internet these high resolutions are overkill as the monitors don't display them any better than lower resolution pictures. It would be a different story if they were going to be printed.  When I take the pictures for my wrench auctions I save two copies of the pics after cropping and any other editing, one at 100% resolution (for the printed catalog) and the other at 45% resolution (for the web catalog) to save on loading time. I like to keep the web pics around 35kb to 60kb or slightly larger, the physical size is usually around 800px by 600px.

The quality resolution size of the pictures from the camera can be lessened by cropping extraneous areas around the main object, by reducing the quality and dimensional size settings on your camera and by using a plain uncluttered background when taking the pics. Yesterday's newspaper or the kitchen table with the remains of breakfast all add to the resolution size.  Also most editing programs such as Irfan View (one of the easiest to use and it's free) have provisions to reduce the resolutions. Even if you use a picture hosting site such as Photobucket the pictures should be edited to speed up the load time and reduce internet clutter. Most of the picture hosting sites also have on line editors. If you use a picture hosting site it seems 690px wide is the max to get a picture to show full size on the page without the slider bar down below the last picture. That[s on my monitor others may be different?

So in short it's not the physical or dimensional size but the quality or resolution size that is not allowing the posting of large pictures. Keep the quality/resolution size below 250kb and large dimensional size pictures will post. Remember picture restrictions are "10 per post, maximum total size 800KB, maximum individual size 250KB" if you are using the board attachments procedure. I guess there are no limits on number of pics if you link to a web picture hosting site.

1930, (or anyone else) if you would email one of the pics you are trying to upload I will see if I have any luck.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:40:22 PM by Bus »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
I'm with you on that score, Bus. Got into the computer game real late in life, and I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I've been managing.
Persistence has paid off for me.
Ratchet Guru

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »
Excellent post, Bus! Thanks. I have tried to explain this, but didn't succeed.
I also came to computers and digital photography late in life, and my boys are NOT good teachers! They would say- "Just do this, this, and this, Pop. And do it so fast that I couldn't see how they did it. I had to poke around a long time to figure out how to do things.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rusty

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:03:55 PM »

Stray comment, I dunno if folks are aware of this, if you click on the thumbnail picture, something different happens than when you click on the link under the picture...

Which is weird, i dunno why the link offers to  download the pic...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »
I use a Canon SX130IS, and it gives you the option of selecting the pixel size for the pictures you take.  I had to reduce pixel size to get my photos accepted on this site.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:43:04 AM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »
test
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »
Holy Shiz it worked..... Bus said.....( ever see the Charlie Brown cartoons where the teacher is explaining something to Charlie Brown ) WAWA...WAWA..WAWA...WA WAWA...WAWA..WAWA...WA WAWA...WAWA..WAWA...WA WAWA...WAWA..WAWA...WA WAWA...WAWA..WAWA...WA   The resolution of the pictures from the camera can be lessened by cropping extraneous areas around the main object, by reducing the resolution size on your camera and by using a plain uncluttered background when taking the pics. Yesterday's newspaper or the kitchen table with the remains of breakfast all add to the resolution size.  Also most editing programs such as Irfan View (one of the easiest to use and it's free have provisions to reduce the resolutions). Even if you use a picture hosting site such as Photobucket the pictures should be edited to speed up the load time and reduce internet clutter. Most of the picture hosting sites also have on line editors

Now that makes sense!