Author Topic: Snap-on Socket ID?  (Read 2842 times)

lzenglish

Snap-on Socket ID?
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »
I picked this socket, or adapter up, and don't know exactly which one it is? It has a Snap-on logo, with an "O" just to the right of it. Then below this, is a part number of -734-1&1/16", which is probably missing the first number. One end is 1" square, which I pesume is the drive size, and the other is 1&1/16" square, which I have questions as to what it fits. I cannot find anything on it on AA or google. Is it a socket, or an adapter? What is the vintage? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:46:53 PM by lzenglish »

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
Re: Snap-on Socket ID?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:46:44 AM »
Have you tried the Collecting Snap-On Site?

lzenglish

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:14:07 AM »
Have you tried the Collecting Snap-On Site?

No, I did not remember that site, Thanks. I know it is not an adapter now, as snap-on did not have a 1-1/16" drive! Lol. After a long search, I believe it is a "Budd's wheel impact socket", but will search this new lead, that looks to be full of Great Information!.

Wayne

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »
Wayne, there were two types of wheels on big trucks
budd wheel had the stud holes like a car wheel the iner wheel was held on by a stud that had a square end the outer wheel was held on by a lug that screwed onto the inside wheel stud they even made a wrench that would hold onto the inner stud while removing the outer.
the second wheel type was called a dayton wheel they still use this type  bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

lzenglish

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 10:11:26 AM »
Wayne, there were two types of wheels on big trucks
budd wheel had the stud holes like a car wheel the iner wheel was held on by a stud that had a square end the outer wheel was held on by a lug that screwed onto the inside wheel stud they even made a wrench that would hold onto the inner stud while removing the outer.
the second wheel type was called a dayton wheel they still use this type  bob w.

Thanks Bob. This is information that I was not aware of before I started digging into it, and is very interesting. Do you think this socket may be a "Budd's stud impact socket"? I have an email into the Snap-on site that eddie hudson suggested, so maybe they will recognize the model, or part number on it.

Wayne

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:54:41 AM »
Hey folks, when contacting Snap-On or anyone else for that matter, do you mention Tool Talk? Or maybe even link them back to here?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/