Author Topic: 15'' crescent  (Read 5146 times)

Offline dobsalot

• CONTRIBUTOR
15'' crescent
« on: August 18, 2012, 09:13:51 PM »
My 15'' cresent is in need of a adjuster screw, hoping someone could help me out, I'm having trouble finding one with black oxide finish.

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
Re: 15'' crescent
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »
Just found an old 15" Crescent wrench like yours in a old rusted tool box, it was missing the adj. thumb screw & retaining pin.
after cleaning up all the tools, I found the Adj screw & very rusted pin in bottom of box mixed with debres.
look like the pin was too rusted, so I used a short bolt with same dia & threads to hold the thumb screw.
cut off the head, cut a slot, works fine.

This model is Drop Forged steel, not alloy.
"1930 Crescent introduced a line of alloy-steel tools under the "Crestoloy" trademark"
does this mean the wrench is pre-1930?
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:28:32 AM »
Just found an old 15" Crescent wrench like yours in a old rusted tool box, it was missing the adj. thumb screw & retaining pin.
after cleaning up all the tools, I found the Adj screw & very rusted pin in bottom of box mixed with debres.
look like the pin was too rusted, so I used a short bolt with same dia & threads to hold the thumb screw.
cut off the head, cut a slot, works fine.

This model is Drop Forged steel, not alloy.
"1930 Crescent introduced a line of alloy-steel tools under the "Crestoloy" trademark"
does this mean the wrench is pre-1930?

Drop it into some vinegar for about a week--when it comes out it will be just as dark as black oxide finish!
E-mail address  dhdslimbow@yahoo.com
Looking for USA made ratchets-all sizes-drives and lengths  also S-K SuperKrome wrenches ditto.  Like to trade vs buy run it past me-nothing is cut in stone!

Offline dobsalot

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »
I havent a clue as to how old the crescent, I'm sure someone here has an idea. The thumb screw on my crescent snapped a thread and I would like to replace it with any type that will work no matter the finish.

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »
I have some parts coming from this guy Alex.
Here is the email address.

sales@asmc.net
RooK E

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 07:44:54 AM »
oldtools,

I don't think you can make it as definite as 1930 exactly.  I lifted the below from Alloy Artifacts.

The Introduction of Crestoloy

Around 1930 Crescent introduced a line of alloy steel pliers and wrenches, which were sold under their "Crestoloy" brand, a registered trademark.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline oldtools

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 02:27:03 AM »
oldtools,

I don't think you can make it as definite as 1930 exactly.  I lifted the below from Alloy Artifacts.  The Introduction of Crestoloy
Around 1930 Crescent introduced a line of alloy steel pliers and wrenches, which were sold under their "Crestoloy" brand, a registered trademark.

Mike

Thank you Mike
So because my 15" Crescent doesn't have the "Crestoloy" brand, doesn't mean it was before the Crestoloy time frame?

Just that Crescent didn't mark or make all their tools with that brand until later?
is there another way to date Crescent wrenches?
Aloha!  the OldTool guy

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 11:22:52 PM »
Many companies that offered alloy steel tools also continued to offer carbon steel tools as a cheaper alternative, at least up to the war from what I have noticed....
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:52:30 AM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline oldtools

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 12:02:06 AM »
Thank you Rusty
Aloha!  the OldTool guy