Author Topic: Works Progress Administration & Civilian Conservation Corp Marked Tools  (Read 14357 times)

William

I recently found a hatchet head in good shape with basically no pitting in a barn in South Carolina. On the top of the head u can faintly read the letters CCC.

Offline bear_man

William, how big were the "C" stampings?  On my splitting wedge, they're exactly 3/16" tall — my memory must've glitched; I recalled that they were shorter.

Offline Charles Garrett

Re: Works Progress Administration & Civilian Conservation Corp Marked Tools
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 11:39:03 AM »
AH yes, I remember those days.  The WPA was a bust except for those that benifited.   CCC was as it turned out a great source of ready trained recruits for WW2.  A friend of mine was CCC and then a Battan marcher and spent the war in a Japanese prisoner mine .  He survived and last saw him a year ago.  He was a year older than me.  Many stories he told.  A couple of years ago Japan took the survivors back for a tour and apology.  Chuck Garrett

Tim Byrd

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »
Looking to buy any and all tools Stamped W.P.A. or C.C.C. . Wooden handled tools are usually burnt marked with initials. Steel is either stamped or engraved. Thank you

I own a shovel with wpa stamped on it

Offline amecks

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »
On destroying perfectly good stuff:  I had a boss who's brother guarded German prisoners in a camp in England.  After the war ended the bicycles that servicemen used to get around were all gathered in a huge pile - to be scrapped.  Had they not done that the bicycle makers would have been put out of business.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 03:57:56 PM »
A little over half a mile from my place is Hamlin Beach State Park, a more or less ignored part of the State Park System so tax money can be spent elsewhere.  It began as a CCC camp that evolved into a POW camp for World War II that housed first Italian and then German POWs.

A few years back the Camps attracted a lot of attention from folks interested in history.  This is a fairly accurate writeup on the place.
http://friendsofhamlinbeach.org/cccpow.html

Lately it seems like the interest of those people has moved on to something else.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline michigancraig

• Hi All!
    • B & C Emporium antiques and original hardware
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 01:09:42 PM »
some where in the collection ihave a wooden level prob 2-3 foot it is painted red and stamped CCC
B & C Emporium antiques and original hardware.

Live each day like it is your last day alive!

Live life to your fullest you can you handle!

Offline gertrudestrong

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 05:02:43 PM »
I have a 12-tined wooden-handled pitch fork stamped WPA. Would anyone like to make an offer on it?

Offline Catch22!

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
The US Forest Service has an archaeology volunteer program called Passport in Time http://www.passportintime.com/index.html.  The program has done digs and restoration work at a number of CCC camps.

I would bet they have turned up a number of tools in their projects