Author Topic: Which Tools Will Be Future Classics?  (Read 6888 times)

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
Re: Which Tools Will Be Future Classics?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »
Good Point!!! Agree, but when did they stop making all metal case? now by law must be Plastic?
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Branson

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 12:26:34 AM »
You guys do realize that you have totally hi-jacked poor PutnamEco's thread on what would become classics.  I think that any power tool that has a all metal case has a better chance than those made of plastic.
Mel

I think the all metal case power tools are already classics, actually.  They are illegal to manufacture in California, at least, and I can't remember the last time I saw a new one for sale.   

It's hard to imagine a currently made tool becoming a classic in the future.   New innovations seem to have the life-span of a mayfly these days.

Offline PutnamEco

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 11:03:31 AM »
You guys do realize that you have totally hi-jacked poor PutnamEco's thread on what would become classics.  I think that any power tool that has a all metal case has a better chance than those made of plastic.
Mel

Keeping old tools running is related to classics. A classic tool would be far less valuable were it not able to function.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR January 20, 1937

Offline PutnamEco

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »
Good Point!!! Agree, but when did they stop making all metal case? now by law must be Plastic?

They have to be double insulated to pass Underwriters Laboratories testing, if they fail, they will have a very hard time getting liability insurance for their product, no less all the product liability lawsuits they will be exposed to for not using every available means to make produce a safe tool. At least that is how I understand it.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; It is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR January 20, 1937