Author Topic: Another Whatsit.  (Read 4652 times)

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
Another Whatsit.
« on: May 03, 2011, 05:43:38 AM »
One my Victorian blacksmith mates got asked yesterday what this is and or does? He thought I might know! A look through some my catalogues & tool dictionaries has proved fruitless. Can anyone here clear this one up?
Graeme

Offline ron darner

• RIP 4-18-1941- 9-30-2014
Re: Another Whatsit.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 12:29:20 PM »
If you had a length of chain, it might let you hook onto each end, and tighten the chain around something.  The length of the screw would suggest that it was for use with a round object - maybe a barrel?  But that's a guess based on appearance, not from actual knowledge.  The "chain" might be a flat strap with loops at each end, and the multiple hooks would permit use over a variety of sizes within a range.  One loop could even go past the center, surrounding the screw and going into the first hook on opposite side.
Arrogance and Ignorance have more in common than their last four letters!

Offline FrankLee

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 01:07:56 PM »
My swag is that it is a caning or wire stretcher.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:13:21 PM »
How do the 2 sides move as the screw is run in and out?

Offline anglesmith

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:57:40 AM »
I'm going from the photo also, It seems to be a solid one piece mallable casting, only moving part is the screw!? The screw looks like one thats the same as a carpenters adjustable bar clamp. My latest thought that it was used with ropes or slings?
Graeme

lzenglish

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 08:55:58 AM »
I would have to agree with Ron's guess, in that it appears to be a clamp to take up the slack on a chain or strap wrapped around a barrel, wagon wheel, or anything round, to hold in place while working it. <My WAG

still searching,

Wayne

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »
I'm going from the photo also, It seems to be a solid one piece mallable casting, only moving part is the screw!? The screw looks like one thats the same as a carpenters adjustable bar clamp. My latest thought that it was used with ropes or slings?
Graeme

Rope or heavy cording were my first thought, actually.  I've been thinking about what trade, what task would use such a clamp.  Barrel making could use a tool like this, except the screw would put more pressure on one stave than all the rest, and that doesn't seem a good idea.  It would work best as some kind of band clamp if there were something solid between the pieces clamped this way.  Besides, coopers had their own developed tools, and I don't recognize this as a cooper's tool, not that I've seen anyway. 

What occurred to me is that it would be useful to carpenters making up hollow pillars.  Assembled from several planks, much like a barrel, this clamp would be useful in assembly, much like a band clamp, especially if the pillar tapered in a shallow arch. 

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:51:56 PM »
Having worked for 6 months in a jute mill that made jute carpet loom beams, this looks like a tool in combination with others that might be used when setting up a beam run.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »
I am stumped..........
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline anglesmith

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 03:38:27 AM »
Glad that the picture came back up. I was thinkinking of reposting it! Whatit thread are usless without a picture.
Graeme