Author Topic: Check out this old file  (Read 2423 times)

Offline pritch

Check out this old file
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:32:00 AM »
We dug this up at the construction site I'm on. This is very near the rail road tracks in Rock Springs, Wyoming, and we have found quite a few old artifacts. This thing is 18" long and 2" wide. Looks like it was a rasp on one side and a file on the other.

I stuck it in the sand blaster at the shop for a second, just to see. I think it will make a fine butcher knife someday.

Offline keykeeper

Re: Check out this old file
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 07:32:51 AM »
Looks like a farriers combo file/hoof rasp to me. Several manufacturers used to make them like that.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Dakota Woodworker

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Looks like an old horse hoof file to me.  It's always interesting to find stuff like this while doing some excavation.
Current Dakota Auction Champion

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »

Was digging up in new Hampshire once, kept finding strange glass bottles, 20 ft down...
Finally one of the locals told me they remembered that a pharmacy had burned down there decades ago....

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »

Was digging up in new Hampshire once, kept finding strange glass bottles, 20 ft down...
Finally one of the locals told me they remembered that a pharmacy had burned down there decades ago....

There is an old bottle for sale at Norm Heckler's auction right now, that will eventually sell for over $100,000.
    The current record for an old bottle is $176,000.

Hope you kept the strangest ones??
  yours Scott

Offline Neals

• Contributor
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »
I think I have 3 or 4 of those from farm auctions. This area was settled mostly after 1910. As common as they are here I guess that the ones I have are newer than that.