Author Topic: Chevy Tool Kit?  (Read 13460 times)

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
Chevy Tool Kit?
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:57:49 PM »
Here are pictures of a partial tool kit I bought at a local household auction a few years ago. The tools look like they should be part of a Chevy kit but for different years. The two wrenches on the right left are only marked "Drop Forged" /' "Made in USA". The next two have the  Vlchek logo, last wrench is marked "McKaig-Hatch".

The pliers is  marked only "Drop Forged". Screwdriver is not marked. All the tools are in excellent condition, the two Vlchek wrenches and the screwdriver are in exceptional nice condition.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:33:00 PM by Bus »

Offline keykeeper

Re: Chevy Tool Kit?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 06:07:41 PM »
The two on the left should be for earlier Chevy kits (29-42), the rest looks like it goes together, even though the wrenches are mixed (1946-54). Both McKaig-Hatch and Vlchek supplied that style wrench according to info gleaned from www.1940chevrolet.com The pliers look correct for 1941-mid 50's., but the screwdriver looks like the 1937-1940 version.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:49:53 PM »
Is that a heavy canvas or a lighter cloth material on the bag Bus?
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Hm Wrench

• Vintage tool kit Source for Motorcycle tool kit ID
Always Looking for Motorcycle, Bicycle tools and related information.

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 02:52:12 AM »
That is a nice tool kit! The pouch is different than mine but it looks like it has some of the same tools.

I bought the kit at an estate auction for a lady who had been the town clerk for years. When I was a youngster I can remember that she always drove an older Chevy. I wonder if this kit was from one of those cars with some of the wrenches from a previous, earlier Chevy added.

Not sure what the pouch material is. It isn't real heavy material. I read some pouches were made of "duck cloth". Do you know what that was?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 04:17:02 AM by Bus »

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 07:06:16 AM »
Not sure what the pouch material is. It isn't real heavy material. I read some pouches were made of "duck cloth". Do you know what that was?

Cotton duck is a light weight canvas like material.  Think of the old army first aid kits, the ones that linked onto web belts.  Or some of the army back packs and field packs.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »
H.M what do you date that kit to be, later than my interests but yes still unusual
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Hm Wrench

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 04:08:26 PM »
The kit on ebay is actually 49-54, you can tell by the spark plug.  On the kit shown by bus , Key keeper is correct and  this tool bag would work for the later tools.

http://www.americanclassic.com/Google_Base_HTML_Pages/MS151-1940.htm

A tool bag was not issued until 1937?????? , because there was a tool box under the seat.  The kit on ebay is also an accessory kit sold by the dealer and not issued with the car.  Tool kits were not issued with the car after 1948.

Thanks,
Kirk

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »
I dont know G.M. but am surprised that you say there was no bag because of the box under the seat. Most cars prior to 37 had the box under the seat but as far as I have known they also had the bag to hold together the small tools.

Offline Hm Wrench

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 05:30:31 PM »
That's what the chevy guys are saying, if any bag was present it was just a simple cloth pull string bag and not a tool bag as we know it.  They do not seem to have any information on it. At least not the Vintage Chevrolet club of America.  Multiple posters have asked the question and the answer always given is there was no bag.  I understand, it seems odd to me as well.  But currently that is all I know.
Thanks,
Kirk

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 08:31:31 PM »
Looks like you guys have identified the tools, how about the pouch? It doesn't seem to match up with the pictures of Chevy pouches I have seen on line. I have added a picture of the back side of the pouch to the first posts.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:57 PM »
Quote......... if any bag was present it was just a simple cloth pull string bag and not a tool bag as we know it..........A tool bag as I know it is nothing more than a simple cloth pull string bag or a pouched fold over flap bag with a clincher buckle.
I have seen Hudson use these bags as well as Fords. I have yet to see a bag that held tools individually and securely prior to 1937 although I do have one photo of a highline Chrysler bag that did have individual pockets for tools that was supposedely dated 1928 or so but I found zero evidence to confirm any of that application data.
It amazes me that the VCCA has done so little concerning tools prior to the late 30s, it just goes to show once again that no-one cares what the original toolkits consisted of back then. I dont understand this at all.
E-mail sent to Curly and Moe by the way about that book you mentioned and no response as of yet. If and when I get the book expect a copy.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:09:57 PM by 1930 »

Offline Hm Wrench

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »
Bus,

I am still looking, I have to much info on the computer and can not find thing.  I seem to remember similar bags in a few 1920's kits, but I can not remember which car maker.  There were also kits issued by Vlcheck and Billings, as an aftermarket kit for car owners.

Thanks,
Kirk

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 06:16:32 PM »
I mispoke above, Maxwell used a similar bag as you have shown above so my point is that they were not all as simple as I had described but I still believe the bag shown above no earlier than the forties.