Author Topic: Losee's Champion Wrench Patent Questions  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Losee's Champion Wrench Patent Questions
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »
This 15-inch Losee's Champion wrench was unused when I found it several years ago. No wonder, the wrench weighs 5 lbs. 4.5 ozs! 

The Champion was made in the Losee Wrench Works, Corry, Pa according to available information. The patent information on the wrench is sketchy. Deforest G. Connell was the patentee, and the patent number is 912993; it was approved February 23, 1909. 

The image for this patent is far removed from the wrench produced by Losee under the patent. The image shows a wooden-handled adjustable monkey wrench with a quick adjust lever. The wrench itself looks like a large Girard wrench with a massive knurled handle.  That I know of, the pictured wrench is the only type of wrench made by Losee, albeit in various sizes. I have seen other instances where the patent sketch was variant from the produced wrench, but not to this degree. Is this just such a variation, or has a mistake been made in re: the patent number or, perhaps, in the patent image?

Offline rusty

Re: Losee's Champion Wrench Patent Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »

Reading the patent, nothing described seems to apply to the wrench.
Every claim in the patent is prefixed '...with a jaw pivotally connected..."   
\There is no pivot\, none of the patent claims can apply to this wrench.
...interesting.
What is the patent number based on? A number on the wrench , or a date on the wrench? or something else?
If it is a date, it could well be the wrong patent, especially if the patent was split...

NB: datamp doesn't have this patent number...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »
Probably two different wrenches. Your wrench looks like the a regular Coes type. As far as I know the quick adjust was never manufactured, at least I have never seen one. Still yours is a fairly rare wrench. I have only had a couple to sell and they weren't marked with any patent date. Is yours?

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 05:56:56 PM »

Patent 864659 seems closer....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »
Re: the patent information I cited for the Losee's Champion wrench, the source was the  Friedman Auction Note for the Losee's Champion wrench in that auction.
I checked PN/ 864659 and the drawing more nearly resembles the Champion wrench, the only difference being the drawing shows a longitudinal screw affixing the handle to the wrench.  As to the wrench's appearance, it looks like a large Girard monkey wrench with a knurled handle. Steve Eckers indicates that J. A. Losee was assigned the patent which was approved August 27, 1907.

Thanks for your help, Bus & Rusty.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:06:17 PM by Wrenchmensch »