Author Topic: Stuff from the Reading Company (a Railroad, et cetera)  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Stuff from the Reading Company (a Railroad, et cetera)
« on: June 27, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »
This small 6.5" Pexto monkey wrench was owned by the Reading Company.

This Company, also known as the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad was founded in 1833.  By 1871, the Reading Company was the largest company in the world. It had integrated vertically by buying anthracite coal mines and transporting that coal to the industries of the Lehigh Valley and to New York City. The Reading was integrated into Conrail in 1976. 

The Dressel railroad lantern is also from the Reading Company. The lid is stamped, "Reading Company Loco. Dept.". The heavy steel ring on the bottom kept the lantern from sliding around on the floor of a steam locomotive cab. Dressel added: the "added weight eliminates chance of removal from cab for other train use."  I threw this picture in to lend color to an endless parade of steel tools.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:36:52 PM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: A wrench from the Reading Company
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:11:18 PM »
I like the lantern, I have several I display at our RR depot on Labor Day.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Fins/413

Re: Stuff from the Reading Company (a Railroad, et cetera)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »
Really nice lantern.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 12:57:32 AM »
I could have used a darn lantern the other night. Leave it to me to make sure I know "exactly" where my flashlights are in case the power goes out...... only, if the batteries are dead, it's not much help!  Lanterns are much more dependable.
cheers,
bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:09:55 AM »
Bird,

I have 4 Coleman lanterns which I bought at flea markets for not much money each (< $10).  They each give the equivalent of a 100 watt bulb in light.  Finding Coleman stove fuel for the lantern may be more difficult.  Dicks might have it.  We haven't used the lanterns since we got a 16 kw standby generating system.  We live in the woods and the lights (and the well pump, AC, water heater, furnace, water softener, refrigerator, computers) do go out a lot, so a generator seems worthwhile.

Bob
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:38:24 PM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 03:05:08 AM »
Bird,

I have 4 Coleman lanterns which I bought a flea markets for not much money each (< $10).  They each give the equivalent of a 100 watt bulb in light.  Finding Coleman stove fuel for the lantern may be more difficult.  Dicks might have it.  We haven't used the lanterns since we got a standby generating system.  We live in the woods and the lights (and the well pump, AC, water heater, furnace, water softener, refrigerator, computers) do go out a lot, so a generator seems worthwhile.

Bob

Yep, those lanterns are a good idea. I have the luxury of having a hardware store where I can order fuel for an odd coleman lantern.  Sounds like you have a good system now....... I guess I'll call you next time the power is out....... hmmmm..... that won't do me any good. Although, I'm sure talking to you could pass the time!
cheers, bird
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"