Author Topic: bench top forge  (Read 6457 times)

Offline Branson

bench top forge
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:29:26 AM »
I'm having trouble understanding the bidding on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110975883641?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

It looks like the bolts are rusted in place, the whole thing is badly pitted, the original front legs are gone, and replaced with strap iron, the 14 inch standing gear that runs the blower is missing, as is the bracket that holds the axle for it, and there's no evidence of the smaller gear that drives the  pulley  that turns the blower. 

Maybe nobody bidding has seen one of these complete.  But $295 for a pan, a blower, and one leg seems to be way out of the park!

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: bench top forge
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:38:35 AM »
Seems high to me and there have been 39 bids. Crazy.

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:21:48 AM »
Makes no sense to me. It's not even close to being complete. Should have a mechanism to either pump it or crank it to make it work. That thing is nothing but a piece of junk.

The description isn't even accurate. These weren't "benchtop" forges, they were made small to be portable for packing in to remote areas. I've heard them called 'prospector' forges. The whole idea was to be used to sharpen picks and other tools. I've also heard them referred to as "farrier forges" to be easily moved from one hot shoeing job to the next, so as not to pack a heavier forge around.

Crazy world we live in. I wouldn't give scrap price for that thing.

-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »
>front legs are gone, ...standing gear ... is missing, as is the bracket that holds the axle...

None of those things are required to make a fancy artsy planter ;P

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »
That does sorta clear the sinuses, whew.  That did once have a pump handle, because the pulley is made for a flat belt.    I personally would have dropped out at $15,  the shipping is going to be a real oucher.   Checked his other items, high but not in orbit?   
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:58:32 AM »
That does sorta clear the sinuses, whew.  That did once have a pump handle, because the pulley is made for a flat belt.    I personally would have dropped out at $15,  the shipping is going to be a real oucher.   Checked his other items, high but not in orbit?   

$380 with $37 shipping...  Three strong bidders... 

I don't think it had a pump handle but was set up like the one on the forge in the picture.   Maybe I can dig mine out and get a picture.   

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 08:37:02 AM »
You're right, a pump handle needs that flywheel underneath, and there just isn't room.  That one is like yours?

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:56:02 PM »
You're right, a pump handle needs that flywheel underneath, and there just isn't room.  That one is like yours?

I have one of the pump forges in fairly good fettle, and I have a "bench top" forge that has the big gear on the side with a handle so you can crank the blower.  It's missing two machine screws and the tuyer.  Oh, and it needs the drive belt.  I'll just have to dig it out and get a photo or three of it.   Maybe tomorrow or more likely, the day after Thanksgiving -- I have to dig my way to the back of the shed to get to it. 

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
I think you will all agree that mine is a little better condition and a little more complete than the one on eBay.  Like all three original legs, the drive wheel for the belt, the gears for driving the blower...  I have to make the belt to get it to work.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 09:56:10 PM »
I have never seen a forge like yours Branson.   I've been to dozens of Blacksmith meets, hammer-ins, and seen a dozen different type forges, but not one that small.  Have you ever had it hot?

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 10:00:42 PM »
I think you will all agree that mine is a little better condition and a little more complete than the one on eBay.  Like all three original legs, the drive wheel for the belt, the gears for driving the blower...  I have to make the belt to get it to work.

I envy your responsibilities in having possession of it.  What a beauty!
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Branson

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 08:08:41 AM »
I have never seen a forge like yours Branson.   I've been to dozens of Blacksmith meets, hammer-ins, and seen a dozen different type forges, but not one that small.  Have you ever had it hot?

Shortly after I got it at a blacksmith yard sale (!!), one sold on eBay for $64.  It was missing the big gear with the handle.  I saw a picture of a another about a month later that had a square bowl.  The one that just sold on eBay doesn't even have the fly wheel for driving the blower as you can see.

I haven't had it hot yet, but ought to get it up by next spring.  I went through it last summer and got it moving smoothly, but need to get a grid made, two machine screws, and a belt.  Other than that, it's complete.  I also need to build a stand for it. 

Offline Branson

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 08:09:46 AM »
I envy your responsibilities in having possession of it.  What a beauty!

Thanks, Oily.  I'm looking forward to putting it to work.

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
Branson: That is a beautiful piece of machinery, to say the least. You are fortunate to have one.  Not a very common site, even at blacksmith gatherings.

Fire that baby up! If you need some good smithing coal, I'll send you a Flat-Rate box full! I've got plenty!!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Branson

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 06:50:47 PM »
Fire that baby up! If you need some good smithing coal, I'll send you a Flat-Rate box full! I've got plenty!!

I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it sitting on the black top.  Let me get a grid for it to cover that big gaping hole where the draft comes up, and I'll get it up and burning.   I thank you for the offer of the coal, but I have about 30 pounds of Lazari coke waiting for a match.  There was a smith down south of here who had some connection where he could buy some Pennsylvania coal, and that was the best stuff I ever worked with!  Wish I could find his source here in California...