Author Topic: Another Atha to ID  (Read 3226 times)

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
Another Atha to ID
« on: November 29, 2012, 02:12:28 AM »
Only just today did I get he wire wheel out and discover that anotherAtha has made it to my shop.  Have no idea what this thing does, but other than the Atha stamping, there's a "1/8" on one side.  There was another piece with no markigs on it except a "3/4" in the same box from the auction, but it doesn't really look like the Atha piece.  If we figure out what the first one does, I'll put up a photo of the 2nd one.  With that mushroomed head, someone's been wailing on it rather aggressively over the years.

TIA

DM&FS
Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
Re: Another Atha to ID
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 03:04:36 AM »
This is a "top" swage, held by the smith, struck by the striker! Used in conjunction  with a matching "bottom"swage. For forging a round tenon on a square shaft (say a trolley axle?). BWT I'd say it's 7/8 inch diameter  by the look of it? In the Hammacher Schlemmer & Co cat...(1915?) the smallest Atha top swage listed is 1/4 weighing 2 1/2 lb, the 7/8 swage weighs 3 1/4 lb. I was tempted to have a guess on your 3/4 ?? but I'd better wait till you post a photo!
Graeme

Clarification
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 03:20:05 PM by anglesmith »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »
Could also be used on the corresponding Swage block  half round.   Anyone have a good swage block handy?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:52:14 AM »
Sorry for the delay in getting the follow up photos attached.  The photos reflect the other swage tingie and a home made somthting or another.  These 3 items were all in a box of goodies in an auction flat but II guess the auction  folks overlooked this one.....

Thanks

DM&FS

Offline anglesmith

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 03:38:14 AM »
The middle one is a bottom swage. Have you tried putting the two together with a a piece of 3/4 dia rod? This would confirm whether or nay they are a matched set. The third item looks like a very old hand made tool used in a large brace or ratchet drill,and used for facing bolt holes (5/8?) in a large machine casting (I'm assuming here that it looks exactly the same on the opposite side and that the bottom edge has a clearance angle?)  A photo of the end of this very interesting tool would be good please.
Graeme

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:14:16 AM »
Graeme:  You are correct that the unit looks the same on both sides.  Here's your up close photos.  I did find a "2" stamped on one side.

DM&FS

Offline anglesmith

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 03:07:46 AM »
Interesting, not sure why the "teeth on the end? Note, even while it is hand forged it has been turned between centres! There were two sizes in those large square drives No1 3/8x5/8x1 1/2. No2 1/2x3/4x1 3/4. I'd guess it's No2?
 Graeme

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »
Made from an old AXLE shaft.
Molon Labe

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:48:47 PM »
Wow, a brace driven spot face!!
 Never saw one before!
 I expect the tiny teeth on the end are for reaming a hole that is nearly the right size, to the perfect size.

I agree, cast iron machine manufacturing is probably what it was made for.
    yours Scott