Author Topic: Retailing / Distribution Methods & Timeline Questions  (Read 2839 times)

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: Retailing / Distribution Methods & Timeline Questions
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 11:29:40 AM »
 Attention deficit..... jumping from subject to subject,
 good morning Guys. :)

I forgot about the Thomas Register! And I was the one who had to research in the damn thing most of the time too. You'd think I'd remember. 
 I never read it cover to cover,.................. but I read.

I am intrigued with Baker at Sutter's Fort.  When did he partner up with Cutting? And start the first glasshouse in the west that only lasted less than a year? 

I was introduced to many tools though the tool crib system. I have even minded the crib when it was my turn. School shops had tool cribs when I was there.

Iron casting was glorified little boys playing in the sand.
  Trenches dug with a hoe would make channels across the sand to where the side of a wood cook stove (or whatever they wanted), had been pressed into the sand to make an open mold.
 When the iron was ready and the clay plug on the crucible was broken, the molten iron would gush out and be quickly directed by guys with hoes into this channel or that and then plugged off when the part was made.

Leftover iron would be directed into a bigger channel(s) and left to harden there. 
 A pig of iron. 
  Pig iron later heated almost to melting and hammered to get rid of slag, and make wrought iron.
Water wheels drove big trip hammers while a mob of guys handled the big pig with long tongs.   

The history of cast iron (melted once), wrought iron (melted or at least nearly melted twice) and steel (melted with more sophistication) is all about the history of the furnace.
   Same as glass, what the hell do you melt ore or sand in? To the point of being liquid?
  What can take that kind of blasting heat for days straight??
 Melting pots or crucibles were a primary concern.  Hard to make from even the most special clay known, and fragile to use.  They only worked a few times too, no matter how carefully made.

Some hot work! 

Early tool distribution was all about location.  Cities had one system. Lots of middlemen skimming off their taste inbetween the manufacturer and the end user.
  Rural had another.
  and out here in the boondocks?

Well from the Gold Rush we had packing companies. Drunken Irishmen is the gossip.
 Mule trains hauling over the ridges into town.  They only brought what they brought.
  If you wanted a different brand of whiskey? You were free to ride the 3 days to Eureka on horseback (2 days if you wanted saddle sores and bowlegs)  and get it your own damn self!

Whiskey came in a barrel. If you want some to take home? Bring your own bottle or pail.
   But in case you actually found gold and wanted to celebrate?
 They also packed in a couple cases of fancy stuff. 

See that F in the bottom of the cross? My ancestor. A drunken Irishman with ambition.
 No inheritance though.

If the local Indians would have had it together, even slightly, they could have rounded up enough gold to make the Louisiana purchase themselves, and line the Sacramento river valley and Humboldt bay with big French cannon.  And picked up Alaska on a shopping whim!
       yours Scott

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:53:17 AM by scottg »

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »
Thomas's in my humble opinion may well be more the book that built America than the Sears catalog.  I still have my set from the 1980s tucked away here someplace, still missing one volume.  I bought them in an auction one day, sort of a remembrance of time passed.  They were still good reading when I had time to pass.

I can't recall if Thomas's was distribued free to users like the Grainger book.  I do have recall of Herb getting them by 'fishin em outa the trash' from the front office.  Many things in Herb's shop came there that way, perhaps me included.  Damn few things left that shop in the trash.

There are days when it's difficult to explain to the generation with the plastic pocket communicator jammed in their ear that there was once a time when there were ladies seated at a wall of holes who plugged a cord from hole to hole so a phone call could be made from the shop to the kitchen via the front office.  They cannot understand why it would take 5 women plugging cords to make a call across town, or that there are less jobs because machines have replaced working people.

What the hell is the prize for the generation that looses the most knowledge?
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 04:21:33 PM »
Thomas's in my humble opinion may well be more the book that built America than the Sears catalog.

I can't recall if Thomas's was distribued free to users

Absolutely not! At least never to smaller customers. Maybe 3M got a set free. But they were "other people's money" expensive when new.

McMaster has never sent me a print catalog either. I have had an old school account with them (order what you want and the bill comes at the end of the month) since the 80's,
  but in all this time I never got a printed catalog.
 I think I heard it was $10,000 in business minimum.
 Fortunately the mine got  2 new ones every year so I could rummage the trash myself.

Lets see, my best step ladder, 12' folding fiberglass heavy as lead but stable!!
  ("take that thing to the dump!!" ..........but my house was closer, heh heh :)
 Grinders, drills, lots of things I still use only needed work to come back from the dead, and live a whole second, (somewhat more sheltered), life.

yours Scott

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 10:51:42 PM »
Scott, were it not for dumpster diving, a skill which I developed a very safe modified fire department roof ladder to better accommodate, I'd have by rough calculation 6000 available cubic feet of space in this building.  I tell ya it's pure hell when you have cop buddies calling you to meet them at a dumpster so they can get their share of what they spotted doing a building check.  Of course it's not good when they are asking you to meet the nice lady from some animal rescue group, but I always figured that was just paying my dues and did my best to get there quick.

I did over the years manage to develop the ability to ask customers if they wanted us to remove the old equipment and save them disposal costs with a straight face, and some of my former customers still call.  That's just old school boys who remember favors done in time past, unlike the current generation of entitled love trophies.

I never had a McMaster book either, but then I also never did much of any business with them.  Being based in Rochester for most of the last 20 years I came to know who the supplier was for near any part I needed, and Rochester had at least 100 suppliers till a few years ago.  Grainger cut me off the mailing list too after they screwed up my account number and pissed me off.

TRD probably did donate a set every year to the boys prison a/k/a home for homeless boys I came up in till I aged out of government payments coming and got the free kick out the door 1 minute after the Army recruiter showed up.  There was plenty of free s#!t showed up at the front door there and truckloads of sucker money as well.  I figure I got a real good education there in how the system really runs.  I just may have learned a lot they didn't want me to as well.  Life is what it is.

The other great educational resource was the catalog rack that sat atop every worthwhile parts counter till the computer replaced paper catalogs.  Damned if I can recall the name of the racking system. 
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline Branson

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 08:35:18 AM »
Scott asked: " I am intrigued with Baker at Sutter's Fort.  When did he partner up with Cutting? And start the first glasshouse in the west that only lasted less than a year? "

I didn't know about the glass house!  Got any dates for this? 

Like quite a few people, Baker figured (correctly) there was more money to be made, more easily, by supplying miners than by prospecting.  The two Studebaker brothers made and sold wheel barrows (hence "Studebaker races").  Several people began farming to feed the miners, founding the town of Garden Valley up near Georgetown.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 11:49:15 AM »
I didn't know about the glass house!  Got any dates for this? 
I don't know when Baker and Cutting got together??
 1858 is the general consensus on the glasshouse. Baker and Cutting started a tiny glasshouse south of SF, and made glass food storage bottles. Cutting was a big grocery guy and with Bakers distribution???

If you know bottles, they mostly made cathedral pickle bottles. One of the most desirable bottle shapes in history, in fantastic colors every collector dreams of ??  (likely unintentional at the time),
  and marked with the first glasshouse on the west coast????

There is only one whole specimen known, still intact.  It hasn't sold, maybe ever, but if it did, $100,000 would likely be opening bid and it would rocket toward outer space from there.

Lots of broken ones have been found though. My friend Lou has dug 3 of the broken ones now. (Don't feel too sorry for him. Louie has so many unbelievable bottles he has dug, no one even knows.)

It seems the annealing process was not diligently followed so the glass was very brittle. The "off" colors could have been tolerated, but broken inventory could not.
  Glassmaking was a violently guarded secret. Even if someone knew part of it, it wasn't for sure they knew it all.

In a year Cutting was so distraught over the glass quality, he dissolved the partnership and from then on he imported his Cutting and Co glass from back east.
  That is, until SF Glassworks and later Pacific Glass got going.