Author Topic: Power Drill Corner  (Read 8482 times)

Offline ron darner

• RIP 4-18-1941- 9-30-2014
Power Drill Corner
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:48:58 AM »
  I've just registered in the new location.
  By way of introduction, I have a collection of drills and drill conversion tools (things which change them from hole-boring function to . . . well, you name it! Hedge trimmers, bulb planters, fish scalers, power planes, circular-, sabre-, reciprocating-, band-, or chain-saws, wood lathes, and on and on).  I've begun cataloging my stuff, and have about 130 drills and 160 conversion tools or accessories documented so far.  Many more to go.
  I spent the past weekend at a swap meet/auto show at Jefferson, WI (local), and bought another batch of old drills.  Haven't made final count, but think it was about 15 of them.  Also just received another power drill belt buckle, this time a Black & Decker that a friend found on E-Bay.  Good choice: I have at least 25 B&D's in the collection.
  I've gathered quite a bit of information on patents, too; if you've got drills or related devices, tell me, and I may be able to provide additional information on them.  And I appreciate any info that you can furnish on drills or attachments that I don't have - thanks in advance!
Arrogance and Ignorance have more in common than their last four letters!

Offline woodland_hank

Re: Power Drill Corner
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:34:40 PM »
Hey Ron,

Just bought a Milwaukee drill at Iola car show.  Any info on it you can give would be appreciated!

Tom

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:11:11 PM »
That looks like a beast.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »
A "twist your arm off" beast.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline woodland_hank

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:00:42 PM »
And no handle to prevent the wrist twist!  Runs like a top.  I tore it down to replace bearings and rewire it.  Its been worked for sure. 

Offline ron darner

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 02:11:07 PM »
(Looking at Woodland Hank's Milwaukee drill from the Iola, WI car show) I was also at Iola, and bought quite a few drills and conversion tools, but didn't see that one.  Must mean that you got to that vendor's booth ahead of me!  That appears to be an earlier Milwaukee than any I have, but I have a couple that I haven't cataloged yet.  I've got 150 of my drills cataloged and documented, but have lots more to go.  I got 10 more a week or so ago, at Baraboo's Badger Steam & Gas Power Show.  Likely will get more at the Thresheree (www.thresheree.com)at Edgerton on Labor Day weekend (all sites are in Wisconsin, for those who don't recognize the names).
Hank, I wish that I could provide more info on yours - but I don't have any.  I would actually be interested in learning what the nameplate says, and learning a bit more about this one, myself, if you have the time to study it.  Thanks!

(Added later) I took a look at my oldest Milwaukee, and think that it's a close cousin or brother to yours.  Mine says "Milwaukee Special Low Speed Drill" on the nameplate, and has the front housing longer than yours, indicating more stages of gearing.  The motor of mine runs, but there is one compound gear in a plastic bag attached to the power cord, and the chuck spins freely, so I assume that I'll need to replace it to make the chuck turn again.  Haven't opened it up to see whether the mating gear is also damaged (the pinion, or smaller gear, is partly stripped of teeth on this one.  Both stages have helical teeth). Nameplate info: Type BF-312, S/N 3924; AC or DC 115V 4.8 Amps, 330 rpm Load Speed. The chuck is a Jacobs 33B, 5/64-1/2” capacity, 5/8-16 thread.  With the chuck open, so that the three jaws are inside and not contributing, the overall length of mine to top of rear handle is 13-1/8".
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 06:28:26 PM by ron darner »

Offline woodland_hank

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 03:20:47 PM »
Ron, I was at Iola on Thursday before the show officially opened.  It was a beautiful day for sure.  The one down side to this particular drill is that the name plate, located on the top of the handle, is missing.  Otherwise I'd know more about it.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »
I passed on a MALL brand drill last weekend at the flea market. Are they any good ? If it's there this Sunday, I will get it. It had a metal box and a polishing pad with it for $12.00. Being it's the labor Day weekend the guy probably won't show.

Gort the giant robot AKA EvilDr235

Offline ron darner

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 09:34:36 PM »
I've got a few Mall tools including an electric chainsaw, a worm-drive circular saw, etc.; all seem to be "hell-for-stout" construction.  My Mall drills are a Model 148 "Hobbyist", Model 149A, and Model 181.  There might be one or two others in the stuff I haven't documented/cataloged yet, but can't be many.  I'm interested, especially if the one you saw is another model - even more so if the guy is willing to haggle on pricing!  (Yes, I'm a cheap SOB - what are you going to do about it?).

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 08:19:50 AM »
I hope to buy it if he shows again. I might be willing to trade for something I want more.

EvilDr235 / Gort the giant robot

Offline ron darner

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 08:42:50 AM »
Good luck - hope he shows!  I would appreciate info (photo, nameplate info) if you get it, even if it is the same model as one I have; enough S/N's and I may be able to figure out date (if encoded there).

Offline woodland_hank

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »
Hey Ron, could you post a couple photos of your Milwaukee?  Mine is nearly done.  I'm waiting on a bearing before putting it back together.

Offline ron darner

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 01:56:47 AM »
Sure, Hank; I'll have to dig it out and take some.  Should already have done so, of course....

Offline ron darner

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »
Photos of an old Milwaukee drill, per request from Woodland Hank.  I have the originals of all, and can e-mail; these are cropped and resized to fit.

Offline woodland_hank

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 09:27:46 AM »
That drill is gorgeous!  Thanks for posting.