Author Topic: Ratchets (with pictures)  (Read 109662 times)

Offline kxxr

Re: Ratchets (with pictures)
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »
EVILDR
According to AA, that change, along with a redesign of the pawl system, was made sometime in the mid to late 40s. I will check for any Plomb references once i get back to my computer. Interesting observation in any case.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2012, 05:04:04 PM »
I took a look and could not find any mention of a Plomb connection. No help here. I did find a picture of a ratchet identical in every way to the one I have pictured except that the part number on it is "FAB-51". It was pictured over on GJ by Plombob. He was wondering why the different model number. I don't know if he ever found any explanation.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2012, 10:40:34 PM »
I wonder which company holds the original patent on that pearhead style ratchet?

EvilDr235

Offline kxxr

« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2012, 08:43:32 AM »
  From AA: "In the mid to late 1940s Armstrong completely redesigned its ratchets, replacing the older pivoting pawl with a dual-pawl mechanism. The new design had a forged flat handle and relatively thin flat head, and the cover plate was secured by screws, providing easy access for cleaning or repairs. The shift mechanism used a lobed cam, typical for this type of design, but Armstrong added an external detent ball to guard against accidental shifting."
  So, there may be 2 related patents. One for the older pivoting pawl and another for the newer version with the dual pawl mechanism.
  Also from AA: "Armstrong was a relatively late entry as a maker of sockets and drive tools, as these tools were not offered until sometime after 1928. This was around the same time that J.H. Williams was first producing socket tools as well, and interestingly enough, the socket tools from Armstrong and Williams bear a striking resemblance. Not only are the styles, designs, and tool selection nearly the same, but all of the model numbers (even for socket sets) match as well. (Currently it's not known which company was actually first to market.)"
  Some of the other early Armstrong ratchets look a lot like the Williams versions patented by WC Cress in 1934, #1957462, but they aren't an exact match to the FA-51. So, based on the second quote above, I'm going to guess that the design originated with Williams somehow. But, believe me, that's just a guess.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2012, 09:53:10 AM »
I wonder if the B in the one marked FAB-51 is because it has a black chemical finish rather than chrome plating. Proto adds the letters BL to the ratchet part number when they have the black chemical finish,

EvilDr235
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:38:26 PM by EVILDR235 »

Offline kxxr

« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2012, 10:26:32 AM »
It does look like it might have been sanded/polished down to the metal in this photo. That would explain it.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2012, 05:39:22 PM »
I have bought lots of Armstrong tools over the years so i may have some somewhere that have a black chemical finish that i can check the part number on to see if the letter B is a code for a chemical finish. I picked up alot of tools today at the flea market today , but no Armstrong. I saw on AA how Armstrong used that dual pawl design on quite a few ratchats. I may have to get another job to support my ever growing habit.

EvilDr235

Offline rusty

« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »
I found several FAB-51' s via google, all were black. Also found a SAB-51 (1/2 drive) and it was black also, so B=Black seems highly likely....

>going to guess that the design originated with Williams somehow.

Interesting coincidence that Williams had a ratchet numbered S51 and Armstrong has a ratchet numbered FA51.....just makes you go ...hmmm

There are 99 other 2 digit numbers after all....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »
Here's my latest: from Seekonk Mfg., Seekonk, Mass.
The company is still in business, now by the name of Seekonk Precision Tools, with a website that says these tools have "countless applications"; though I know of none. It may be familiar to some of you though. It is 1/4" drive and weighs about 12 ounces. The ends of the T handle appear to be lead filled for light hammering. One side is stamped "Seekonk" and the other is etched with "Cummins 3378592", and was at one time set to "6 in. lb." Some of you with diesel experience may be able to shed a little more light on this. It clicks both ways, does not ratchet.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2013, 05:51:48 PM »
The Metrinch is an unconventional design and as such gets a lot of negative publicity from the naysayers. There has been a fair amount of hands on research and comparison documented in a couple of Garage Journal threads with surprising results. If you are interested in those, they are easy to find over there. They are not designed to fit the same way a conventional socket does, and so they do seem to fit more loosely to the fastener, but by many user accounts they are very effective, especially on rounded or damaged fasteners. There are a couple of older Metrinch websites out there that describe the principles of the design too. I don't know if these are still being made or not. Not much historical information is available. I give credit to anyone trying to bring an unusual idea to this field. I bet they know how Galileo must have felt to challenge conventional thinking :) The ones I have feel like they are pretty well made, but are certainly manufactured in Taiwan or China.
Anyway, here's what they look like:

It seems to me that this lobe design is very close to the Bonney Loc-Rite, except Bonney only did it with 12-point sockets. Their 6-point sockets and open end wrenches were the standard triangular design. Since the Loc-Rite patent is long expired somebody has obviously decided it was a good idea to bring back.
I've stumbled upon a pair of Metrinch sockets in 13mm and 15mm, and I keep them handy for removing rounded bicycle axle nuts (which are quite common!)
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
Here are some new additions:
My new SK Frankenstein (Thanks Jeff!!):

I just got one the other day. Very high on the cool factor!
Don't know if the "AL" stamped under the snap-ring means anything. Anybody have a clue?
Ratchet Guru

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2013, 06:24:20 PM »
I came across two "paintbrush" handle EASCO ratchet about 6 months ago, and would like to grab a rebuild kit for each one if someone has a source.
Yeah, long shot, I know. They both work fine, but, I know with use they'll eventually need kits, and I'd rather try and track them down now when there's a chance of finding them.
And I don't know if EASCO made this style for Sears C-man ratchets.
Ratchet Guru

Offline rusty

« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2013, 07:38:38 PM »
> Seekonk Mfg., Seekonk, Mass.

Hmm.Seekonk is about 500 ft from where I work ;P

The T shaped thing is a fixed value torque wrench, for installing something in particulat that needs 6 in lbs of torque....

Off the cuff guess would be fuel injectors or glow plugs , not many things on a big diesel engine need only 6inlb of torque...(or perhaps a sensor)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2013, 07:42:35 PM »
Here's a shot of a crusty ol' Fleet 1261 3/8 drive. I came across it in some pictures I don't think I have posted yet. It's in the garage somewhere. Also, a Proto 4749, same drive size.

Proto 4749

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »
Superb Photos, best I've seen!!
Molon Labe