Author Topic: BAHCO FIND  (Read 81670 times)

Offline johnek

More tools here
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 08:00:55 PM »
Some pics 2
Sydney Australia

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: BACHO FIND
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »
I like that Sidchrome set.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline johnek

Back to BAHCO
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 09:17:25 PM »
Now now, let's not get off topic here with unauthorized comments about that other Swedish brand starting with an "S". I should never have shown those here.

Instead, here are some nice 8 inch BAHCOs Skiftnycklar arranged in order of age. Newest at the bottom of the picture, oldest at the top
The LH Column shows the progression from oldest No. 71 Generation 3, A 71 newer Gen 3, an 0671 Gen 4 and an 8071 Gen 5. I have included in the next column an 81, and 11 with tyre lever, and a modern Shark (with printed markings). The right hand column has a curious bicepherous 70/71 and a Gen 4 31 Volvo. 8" is sure a handy size.
Sydney Australia

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
The 31 Volvo is the BAHCO that got me started collecting wrenches.
From Papawswrench- http://www.papawswrench.com/wrenches.htm
My first alligator wrench was in the form of an adjustable wrench I acquired in the tool kit of an old Volvo car I bought in 1969 for $25 and an old twin-lens reflex camera . I bought the car from a guy leaving for Canada to avoid the draft . I never heard from him again . The wrench is still in my toolbox and I use it regularly . It was some years later that I found out about Bahco .
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline johnek

BACHO
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
What got me started is one day I organised my tools and hung up my 4 shifters on a board with 4 screws. I noticed I had a 15" Bahco, a 12" Bahco and 8" Bahco and a 12" in another brand. Seemed to me a good idea to sell this other 12" and get a 10" Bahco to make a set of Bahco in size order - an 8, 10, 12, 15. I did that. Then I found out I could get an 18" and a 4" and a 6"  to make  a fuller set. I did that too. I noticed while I was acquiring this set that there was a lot of variation in labels and age. So I read about Bahco history. Then I wasnt happy having one set of each size, I wanted a set of each type in each size. So I kept going. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the variations are almost endless, so I can keep getting them without having any repeats.

How many will I need before I absolutely have one of every variation you ask? Dunno. 50 is not near it at all, nor will be 100. It could be 250? That is just a guess. But collecting is not about getting to some end goal. If these shifters were freely available and I had lots of money to buy them straight away, what would have I achieved? Surely its about the process - the journey - and learning along the way.
Sydney Australia

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »
Surely its about the process - the journey - and learning along the way.

That's the real truth!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 11:11:31 PM »
I agree,and we are doing it together! Thats why the Henry's quote at the top of the page sums up this forum.
Graeme

Offline volvadi

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 11:58:17 PM »
Your Bahco journey will certainly benefit a lot of us. It has already.

Thanks for the pictures of your dads tools.  The best tools in my opinion are the ones that you know the history of, especially when it's family history.

Offline johnek

Generations
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »
Generations of BAHCO visually
Sydney Australia

Offline anglesmith

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2012, 01:10:47 AM »
Thank you Johnek for sharing your passion for Bahco and for joining Tooltalk. Welcome from a little way up the coast from you. Ive always bought bahco shifters as users, when the price was right of course, but today I might have bought this shifter at any price after the education you have given us! I bought a No 86 (45 degree 24 inch)in very good condition, from Bruce's site I gather that it's the welded 1950's model. It's the largest shitfer I'll ever own it weighs over 7lbs!
Graeme

Offline anglesmith

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2012, 04:54:55 AM »
Johnek, I happened to look on Oz eBay and found one the same as I bought today for sale! ( Some slight differences you might like to discuss later) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221154656262?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
It may even be you who has made the offers? I have know idea whether that price is reasonable or not? I did see that a new 24" bahco costs out here nearly $400! Suffice to say I didn't pay anywhere near the eBay asking price!
Graeme

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
Re: Back to BAHCO
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 07:59:36 AM »
...that other Swedish brand starting with an "S".

Swedish?!

Kijiji King

Offline rusty

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 08:15:58 AM »
>Swedish?!
Sorry, but true....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-SIDCHROME-300-mm-12-INCH-SHIFTER-MADE-IN-SWEDEN-/261120771091

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »
Johnek, to answer your question (reply#34) on how many tools? per Wikipedia; over 7000.  Your Bahco journey is just beginning...

"Bahco is an international brand within the hand tool industry, with its products designed and manufactured by SNA Europe. Its roots go back to the industrial revolution of Sweden in the late eighteen hundreds, starting with innovations such as the pipe wrench and the modern adjustable wrench. Since then, the product range has expanded with a total assortment of products that today includes over 7000 hand tools"
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline johnek

BACHOs BACHOs everywhere?
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »
Graeme,
Did you post a picture of the 86 you just bought? I didnt see it. The one for sale at $189 is a bit on the high side - that's why its been there a while. I didnt offer on it - as I have one just like it - I got mine earlier in the year for $100. My biggest is my 87 of course. We might want to have a private discussion about which ones we are going for so we are not always in competition, and I'll be sure to point out good deals to you when I see them on the ones I dont want.

What is your oldest one, and how many BAHCO do you have?

I attach a picture of my latest finds - I have not even received them as yet.

Sydney Australia