Author Topic: Wiper motor  (Read 5911 times)

Offline rusty

Re: Wiper motor
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
>ceramic deal will not carry the amps without glowing hot,
That is how they work. They are really varistors, the resistance increases with temperature, so as the current increases, they get hotter, the resistance increases, and the current goes down. They are better than a lpain resistor, but they do not really regulate, so yes, the motor speed will drift still...

>most of what you find for sale listed as a '12v to 6v converter' is nothing more than a resistor,
This is why I wouldn't walk into an auto parts store and ask for one ;P

>voltage reducer and converter can be used interchangeably,
The correct term is really voltage regulator, but the automotive folks don't seem to like that term. The efficient ones are switching power supplies, so they are also 'convertors', that is not a reversible equivilance tho ;P

The runtz (blue) one should be along the right idea, but it's probably too small for that motor.
15 amps is kinda overkill, and the things are not cheap, that is why I was also going to ask if you were running anything else 6volt (gas guage, radio, etc...)

I was also going to go look in the 55 dodge and see what we had put in that, then I remembered we left it at 6volts (duh)

The reason that it is hard to find inbetween sizes is the old 6V radios were all vacuum tube and draw tons of current...

>Ron Francis VR-4 electronic voltage reducer
Inefficient, not in a very nice package,and a bit $$, but other than that, it is pretty much what I had in mind....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 11:01:05 PM »
Did you try the 12/6V battery? tap off 6V or 12V  http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/accessories.html
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »
Did you try the 12/6V battery? tap off 6V or 12V  http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/accessories.html
Yes I did and the batteries are 200 plus and will last maybe a few years if taken care of, not what I thought would be ideal for my situation, thanks though
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:46:10 PM by 1930 »
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 04:48:31 PM »
>ceramic deal will not carry the amps without glowing hot,
That is how they work. They are really varistors, the resistance increases with temperature, so as the current increases, they get hotter, the resistance increases, and the current goes down. They are better than a lpain resistor, but they do not really regulate, so yes, the motor speed will drift still...

>most of what you find for sale listed as a '12v to 6v converter' is nothing more than a resistor,
This is why I wouldn't walk into an auto parts store and ask for one ;P

>voltage reducer and converter can be used interchangeably,
The correct term is really voltage regulator, but the automotive folks don't seem to like that term. The efficient ones are switching power supplies, so they are also 'convertors', that is not a reversible equivilance tho ;P

The runtz (blue) one should be along the right idea, but it's probably too small for that motor.
15 amps is kinda overkill, and the things are not cheap, that is why I was also going to ask if you were running anything else 6volt (gas guage, radio, etc...)

I was also going to go look in the 55 dodge and see what we had put in that, then I remembered we left it at 6volts (duh)

The reason that it is hard to find inbetween sizes is the old 6V radios were all vacuum tube and draw tons of current...

>Ron Francis VR-4 electronic voltage reducer
Inefficient, not in a very nice package,and a bit $$, but other than that, it is pretty much what I had in mind....
Im not sure what you mean by inefficient or not in a very nice package but I will agree with pricey but considering the no name brands that I looked at that would not carry nearly the 15 amps and were maybe at most 25 dollars savings I think that I prob. made the right choice.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »
Inefficient because it will probably waste about 25 watts of power while running, (the other half of the 12 volts that is not going to the motor turns into heat) , but, you waste more leaving the headlights on during the day I suppose -P
(It is going to be warm while operating tho, select a place where the heat can escape when mounting it)

It would have been nice if they had put it in a box or something, instead of just a bare heat sink, be sure to mount it inside where it will stay dry......

PS: Is the heater fan motor 6v also?
(Or is this a summer only truck?)

Offline Brophy

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 06:53:25 PM »
I know alot of you guys know European cars, I know next to nothing, without making this a long story will one of you PLEASE identify this wiper  motor set-up on this guys album in post # 25 second page and tell me what year vehicle this guy pulled this assy from.

1962-68 MGB.

In 1969 they converted to a three wiper system.

...Rob
1965 MGB
1974 TR6

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:28:24 PM by Brophy »
Gray Tool Box WINNER!!!

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 04:44:37 AM »
Inefficient because it will probably waste about 25 watts of power while running, (the other half of the 12 volts that is not going to the motor turns into heat) , but, you waste more leaving the headlights on during the day I suppose -P
(It is going to be warm while operating tho, select a place where the heat can escape when mounting it)

It would have been nice if they had put it in a box or something, instead of just a bare heat sink, be sure to mount it inside where it will stay dry......

PS: Is the heater fan motor 6v also?
(Or is this a summer only truck?)

Thanks now I am clear and makes sense to me, dont get me started on the prefectly fine 6 volt wiper motor I used to have!! No, only this wiper will be operating on 6 volt within my truck

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 04:45:59 AM »
I know alot of you guys know European cars, I know next to nothing, without making this a long story will one of you PLEASE identify this wiper  motor set-up on this guys album in post # 25 second page and tell me what year vehicle this guy pulled this assy from.

1962-68 MGB.

...Rob
1965 MGB
1974 TR6

Ever heard the phrase a day late and a dollar short, thanks though for the effort

Offline Brophy

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 06:41:26 PM »

1962-68 MGB.

...Rob
1965 MGB
1974 TR6

Ever heard the phrase a day late and a dollar short, thanks though for the effort

WTF ????????

Am I missing where somebody answered the original question?

Rob
Gray Tool Box WINNER!!!

Offline rusty

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
No one answered it, it just has become moot, as 1930 is going back to the original motor, so it doesn't really matter what that one is anymore...

However I am glad you answered it, I didn't know MG's used those silly things too...

Are cable drive wiper systems only a brittish thing?

Offline Brophy

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »
No one answered it, it just has become moot, as 1930 is going back to the original motor, so it doesn't really matter what that one is anymore...

However I am glad you answered it, I didn't know MG's used those silly things too...

Are cable drive wiper systems only a brittish thing?

Thanks! I was confused about what happened.....

Not sure about the damned silly mechanism being British only....I can't remember what the setup looks like in my TR6 but I had just installed the wiper mechanism in my MGB a week or so ago. How about that for a coincidence?

...Rob
Gray Tool Box WINNER!!!