Author Topic: The Handee Wrench  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
The Handee Wrench
« on: May 03, 2011, 02:26:11 PM »
I found this wrench last week in a flea market. Alloy Artifacts describes this wrench as rare and I agree, but auction prices do not come close to supporting that conclusion.

We know where the wrench was produced, Mansfield, Ohio, who the patentee was, J. Sisolak, and what the patent number is, 1,571,148, but not who manufactured this wrench. The Datamp patent extract, under "Manufacturer", reads "Not known to have been manufactured".  Another bureaucratic error?   
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:19:08 AM by Wrenchmensch »

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
Re: The Handee Wrench
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »
I really don't know how "rare" they are, but there were two of them on ebay in the past month or two.

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 06:09:45 PM »

It's a weird thing, the HANDEE WRENCH MFG. CO is listed as a corporation in mansfield in 1928, but no officers or principals are given, just an office address. makes me wonder if it was making anything or just a paper company. It is an interesting coincidence that Ohio brass co was also in mansfield, and was making wrenches...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »
Its funny how companies are coming back with those now. Its like they went out of style an came back :) I still like the originals better
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:09:51 AM »
I like this tool too.  For one thing, it's made of heavy steel (aka yellow steel) , not zinc alloy. I found it in a Machinists tool case, so it was not rusty and still had 80% of its original black paint on it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:21:22 AM by Wrenchmensch »