Author Topic: Auto Spec.  (Read 11095 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Auto Spec.
« on: July 02, 2011, 05:12:51 PM »
Has anyone seen any company history for Auto Specialties, I would like to know if they ever manuf. anything other than automobile jacks.
Clearly stamped on their jacks is the company name and St. Joseph Michigan.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
Re: Auto Spec.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 05:50:12 PM »
They made  Drednaut Shock Absorbers in the 20's. I think they are still in business today making brakes.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:56:55 PM »
Very interesting Eddie, do you have an add showing this?
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
Very interesting Eddie, do you have an add showing this?

Nope, just old information clogging my brain. Rusty will probably come up with something.

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:35:28 PM »
I have a pair of Auto Spec. pliers.  I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:41:44 AM »
That would be great, is it thought to be the same company that produced jacks for so many years, I dont see anything on AA about auto specialties. Maybe I am performing the search incorrectly

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:13:17 AM »
I don't know if the marking will show up well -- it's a little light and the pliers are dark with age.  But the full mark reads:

Auto Spec.
Duluth

Offline Branson

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »
Here's a picture.  The pliers on the left are marked
Auto Spec.
Duluth USA

The second pair are one of those no name pliers we talked about recently.  One arm has the number 33, and the other looks like 31.

The last pair has the Honda mark.

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »
Well, the pic didn't make it.  It should have been the right size, but was apparently too big.

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »
Here's a picture.  The pliers on the left are marked
Auto Spec.
Duluth USA

Correction!  They say "Motor Spec."  Alloy Artifacts says of Motor Spec.

"Motor Specialties Company (Mosco)

The Motor Specialties Company of Waltham, Massachusetts was a maker of automotive products operating in the early 20th century, and is currently known only by the patented nut holder tool shown in the next figure. The company sold products marked with the "Mosco" brand.

No relation is known between this company and the Snap-on distribution company with a similar name operating in Chicago during the 1920s."

Still, Chicago is a ways from Duluth...

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 05:12:58 PM »
Branson if you could send that pict. to jhason2@yahoo.com it would be appreciated, thanks

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
Couple more questions, jacks are marked ST. Joseph Mich, your pliers say Deluth, I guess i need to see if they are the same place.
Whats the deal with A.A stating ...."Motor Specialties Company (Mosco) Where might that be?
And then Waltham Mass is spoken of, sounds like there may be more than one company here?

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 05:32:10 PM »
Wasnt there some info in the past about some other auto spec. tools shown here, maybe that was lost?

Offline rusty

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »
Auto Specialties Manufacturing Co, St Joseph,MI  Made a few other things.

1918: Patent for a hinge 1259144 (Vehicle bow top holder)
1921: Did publitity stunt endurance race with a Ford touring car with Drednaut Shocks

They are listed in 1922: as manufacturers of automobile jacks, shock absorbers, malleable castings, etc., ;Same article also mentions branch plant at Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

Then years of almost nothing....

1945: AUSCO trademarked in canada, Class: Jacks
1945:Army Ord:Ausco Hydraulic Floor and Curb Jacks, forerunners of which served with such distinction in World War II...."
  (so they were making jacks during the war...)
1952: "Ausco tractor brakes for farmers" (Ausco Lambert)
1954: Farm Bus. News:"AUSCO rotary SHREDDER and CUTTER FOR BETTER SEED-BED PREPARATION ":
 (They got a little side tracked?):
By the 60's they are  selling transmission lifts...(Service jacks, hand jacks, transmission handlers, cranes, garage stands)
They are also being somewhat schitzophrenic and using "Ausco Specialties Mfg. Co"
Also listed (70's) under "original equipment jacks for cars and trucks,"
1964:" Ausco Saf-Lift bumper jack"

1970 SAE journal: "Solve your braking and steering problems with Ausco designs and combinations"
   (so perhaps they are making parts by 70's)
 80's: Ausco clutch&brake Division...

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »
Yes thanks Rusty I was able to find quite a few patents by typing in the compant name as you ahve done I guess