Author Topic: Pony drawknife  (Read 6166 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
Pony drawknife
« on: July 02, 2011, 06:41:02 PM »
 Heres a 4 inch pony drawknife by C.E. Jennings. Has 4 in blade. Does pony designation refer to its small size ? Somewhere back in time I seem to remember it refered to as a pattern makers shave. Anyone confirm ? Anyway its a cute little bugger.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: Pony drawknife
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:12:53 PM »
Ahhhh the classic Jennings!
 Terrifically popular with a whole range of craftsmen, not just patternmakers.  4" was the most popular size, but they made a 6" too.
Not sure about the pony mark though. I have seen a lot of them marked Jennings, but not Pony.
 The handles are often loose or missing. I have made several replacements in my life.
   yours Scott

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:42:26 PM »
 Shave is not marked pony but this is designation given by Sellens in his tool dictionary.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:54:42 PM »
Shave is not marked pony but this is designation given by Sellens in his tool dictionary.

Oh, thought I had missed some!
Yeah probably just slang for small.

Small knives are the bomb for small work you know. Since much of my work is small I keep/use several of them.
 Here is a favorite marked Charles Buck (a riff in the Buck family and one of the brothers struck out on his own).
This is purpleheart and old lamp parts believe it or not.

Here is another I made from scratch.
This is local honey locust cut from the end of the road. 

Another "little monster" I made from scratch.
This time rosewood and tubing flair nuts, lathe turned into what you see.

yours Scott

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 09:28:04 AM »
I've had a couple of these myself (hard for me to resist a drawknife).  I didn't like them much.  With both, the handles came off too easily, sometimes while I was in the middle of work.  But I still have them. 

Like Scott, I have a 4" -- mine by Buck Brothers, not Charles -- that is a delight to use.  Also a 6" carriage makers knife that is also a sweetheart.  And several others...

I like seeing locust used.  I like the wood, whether honey locust or black locust, both of which grow locally.  To me, the black locust looks a lot like teak, and is just about as indesctuctable.