Author Topic: Thanks to OilyRascal for this  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Fins/413

Thanks to OilyRascal for this
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »
OR  asked me if I wanted this a while back asnd sent me this Refer ratchet since i didn't have one. Its very nice many thanks
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Re: Thanks to OilyRascal for this
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 06:15:51 AM »
That is a very clean wrench, very nice Derek
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:13:18 AM »
Fins, what do you know about it?
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
Duro-Chrome 4490 Refrigeration Ratchet

Ratchets designed for refrigeration use typically included extra broached openings on the handle, so that the single tool could operate with commonly used valves or nuts. The ratchet drive was usually a 1/4 square female broaching, the most common size used for the square valve stem on tanks of compressed refrigerant gases.
[Duro-Chrome 4490 1/4-Drive Refrigeration Ratchet]
Fig. 248. Duro-Chrome 4490 1/4-Drive Refrigeration Ratchet, with Inset for Reverse.

Fig. 248 shows a Duro-Chrome 4490 1/4 female drive ratchet, marked "Duro-Chrome" on the face plate with "Pat. No. 1,902,878" on the reverse.

The overall length is 6.3 inches, and the finish is chrome plating.

The handle includes broachings for several commonly used sizes, including 3/16 square, 5/16 square, 1/4 square, and 1/2 double-hex.

The patent notice refers to the well-known patent for the pressed-flange ratchet construction. Other examples of this patent can be seen in the Duro 678D Ratchet and Indestro 3201 Ratchet.

Refrigeration ratchets were made by several other companies, including Bonney, Snap-On, and Walden. An example can be seen in the Walden-Worcester 867 Ratchet.

Alloy Artifacts has a lot of info on these refrig ratchets.

It has been a long time since I have personally seen our A/C repairman use one of these.
His "tool bag"  has other types of tools for the valves on newer systems.
Molon Labe