Author Topic: Indestro and no name wrenches  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Branson

Indestro and no name wrenches
« on: July 03, 2011, 05:12:08 PM »
The wrenches on the left are marked Indestros.  Those on the right look like Indestros, but are not marked with a maker's name, just "Forged Select Steel."  The second from the left Indestro, and the second from the top no name I bought from the same fellow.  Both had traces of red paint (still visible on the no name) so these appear to have belonged to the same original owner.

Heyco, the German manufacturer uses a similar pointed background on its wrenches (I have on for BMWs and another for Mercedez).  Is there any connection?  Or just coincidence?

Offline bonneyman

Re: Indestro and no name wrenches
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
According to AA, "Select Steel" was found on Indestro wrenches.
Ratchet Guru

Offline kxxr

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
According to AA, "Select Steel" was found on Indestro wrenches.
I thought so too, and I don't remember exactly what AA says, but I do remember something about the 'dart' shaped panel indentation being some sort of Indestro trademark at one point.
I picked up an Indestro Super today myself. Along with a very nice pile of other stuff.

There's a Fiskars 'Screwball' drill, Cman 1/2 drive, Cman needle nose vice grips, CeeTee (one with a screwdriver handle), Sheffield and Klien pliers, Klien 5/16 nut driver, 2 Duro Chrome, a Cman BE, a tiny Husky USA and Cman 23mm sockets; 5 Asian wrenches sold in the parts stores locally, a Neff (?) 'Adjust a Box', 2 Cman =v= wrenches, a Lectrolite, 3 Vlchecks (one sawed off), 1 Indestro Super, 1Blackhawk dbe, 1 PowrKraft ratcheting dbe, a Barcalo doe, an SK combo, a no name USA dbe and a Thorsen 10" extension. Over on the right is a wood handle USA screwdriver and a Taiwan screwdriver next to the China Great Neck crescent. All a bargain at $12, a lucky day!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:40:47 PM by kxxr »

Offline kxxr

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:21:12 PM »
Branson, here's some of what AA has to say about your Indestro wrenches:
"Duro and Indestro began using the phrase "Select Steel" in several variations as an informal trademark fairly early on, probably as soon as they needed to make a distinction between the more expensive Chrome Alloy steel and the less expensive "Select" alloy. Many of their tools are marked with the phrases "Forged Select Steel" or "Drop Forged Select Steel" (or other variations), and the catalogs have a section for "Select Steel" economy tools as well as the high-end "Chrome Alloy" tools. (As previously noted in the section on trademarks, Indestro did later register "Select Steel Tools" as a formal trademark.)"
Here's a link to the page about your wrenches:
http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/duro-indestro-p2.html#indestro-select
about 1/3 of the way down, they are pictured.

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »
Thanks again, all.