Author Topic: small wood lathe  (Read 3285 times)

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
small wood lathe
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:05:49 AM »
I am considering purchasing a 12 inch bench top wood lathe . just something to keep busy and help with rehab .Does  anyone have any suggestions as to make to buy. Naturally I would like to get one at a decent price. It would have to be self powered as I am not in love with belts on separate motors. thanks for any info   bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: small wood lathe
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »
I am surprised Bob
 Personally I don't want anything with a self contained motor! Yuck. All I ever saw with built-ins were pitiful quality.
 -- Everything -- really good, comes with a belt!

I have a tiny Jet. You would like it. It has variable speed so you can turn any speed you like. Its a DC motor and its control box. But yeah, it has a belt. In this case a little cogged belt with teeth on it.
 I wish it had a longer toolrest for bigger jobs, but that's it.

I got one pen arbor with mine. I am a little afraid of messing with pens.  It seems like as soon as somebody starts making pens, it becomes the only thing they do.
 I mostly make tool handles on mine. Its quite good for that. You can turn a shapely handle with little effort, when you get used to it. Think of all the tools you could work on. heh heh :)   

Putting your selection of favorite turning tools together takes longer. Sets always have one or two favorite tools in them, maybe.
  But then after that you have to just keep looking, trying different chisels. I have been known to  vandalize other tools trying to get the perfect turning tools.
 It takes time to put together the best set for you. Everybody is different.
 yours Scott

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 05:13:07 AM »
Scott ,I have been looking on the net I was concerned about belt driven lathes was the size. But I see most motors are under the bed so the unit is smaller. I have not a lot of bench room .I have to change each bench tool before I can work it( band saw, snall table saw, small sander and small drill press ) I have full sized floor models but being in a wheel chair it is tough working them for small jobs. I can't stand too long . I can work the  tools from the chair. This idea my not work but I have to try, Sitting in the house is bad enough in the winter,  in summer I don't think I can do it   bob w.

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »
Bob, you might be best off if you got an older ShopSmith -- one of the ER models.  These *can* be made wheelchair accessible.  Coming out just after WW II, disabled vets were accommodated, and I just saw a photo of one that was recently given a different base.  I'll look for that picture, but in the meantime, here's another. 

On a ShopSmith list, there have been at least three guys mentioned who used the machines with bench modifications for wheel chair access.

A ShopSmith would give you a very decent lathe with a 15" swing -- a large number of SS users use them primarily for the lathe.  In fact, that was the big reason I got mine a couple of years ago.  But you also have the drill press, table saw, sanding disc, horizontal drill  all in one machine.  It doesn't take up a lot of room, either.  Very versatile machine.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:03:22 AM »
I had one years ago they take up more than they are worth to me .I need something that goes on a bench and that I can move on the bench   bob w.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
Mine has the motor directly underneath, so its not gangly or anything.
About 6 pounds to move around I'd guess.
 It'd work
  yours again Scott

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »
Mine has the motor directly underneath, so its not gangly or anything.
About 6 pounds to move around I'd guess.
 It'd work
  yours again Scott

sounds just like I need what is the make /model?  bob w.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
Something that I have done with small power tools like my Ryobi Miter Saw and my router fixtures (my lathe is too big, but it would work for a small one) is to fasten the tool to a chunk of 3/4 in plywood and then screw a scrap of 2X2 or 2X4 to the bottom of the plywood.  When I want to use the tool, I clamp the 2X2 in the jaws of a B&D Workmate.  It saves me from shoveling off my workbench.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 05:58:22 PM »
Something that I have done with small power tools like my Ryobi Miter Saw and my router fixtures (my lathe is too big, but it would work for a small one) is to fasten the tool to a chunk of 3/4 in plywood and then screw a scrap of 2X2 or 2X4 to the bottom of the plywood.  When I want to use the tool, I clamp the 2X2 in the jaws of a B&D Workmate.  It saves me from shoveling off my workbench.

Now that sounds like a good solution and I have two workmates hanging on the wall bob w.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »
Clamp it in my Work-Mate, now why didn't I think of that.  Aleady clamp my manual mitre saw to it, but grinder and other things would work great that way.   Have one of the heavy early Work Mates, so nice when it does not move when sawing.  Thanks John
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society