Author Topic: BLACK AND DECKER PORTABLE GRINDER  (Read 2717 times)

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
BLACK AND DECKER PORTABLE GRINDER
« on: March 05, 2013, 02:37:42 AM »
Scored this monstrosity from the 2nd auction Saturday.  Gambled that it would run($5 gamble), and it does, but likely needs the drive mechanism cleaned and lubed. Get a load of that tool rest it has and the 4k rpm from a 12 amp motor.  Will be interesting to see if it can actually be bogged down....lol              Not sure if the chain anchor was factory or not or if the bracket is original or not.

DM&FS
Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline Aunt Phil

Re: BLACK AND DECKER PORTABLE GRINDER
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »
I've dated her sister & cousins for years.

Do yourself a big favor, throw that wheel in the trash & replace it before it hurts you BAD.  Any impact to one of those wheels makes it scrap!  I won't even use one that has bounced around in a truck, and  I have seen them come apart.

That base is a factory accessory, and you may have the only one anybody ever bought.  I think most went back to be remelted.

Somebody has pulled that tool apart and reassembled it 180° off orientation.  Since you'll be pulling the nose for relube, put it back together right because you don't want to be using it pushing the trigger with your thumb.  Best lube is either wheel bearing grease or John Deere corn head grease.

That was made back when the evil French company still made tools,and cost over $300 with the base accessory.

It's a damn good cutting machine with a 1/16 cutting wheel locked on.  You'll need a collar to take up room on the spindle.  I strongly recommend a foot switch and chainsaw chaps for safety if you aren't accustomed to using one of those grinders, they behave differently from an angle grinder, and you can't let go & throw.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:28:37 PM »
>Do yourself a big favor, throw that wheel in the trash

Ditto, sintered carbide wheels are evil, so are the white ones that look like sandstone.

>they behave differently from an angle grinder

Ever grab a very large snake in the middle?
:P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 06:55:53 PM »
Okay, Okay, the stone will be a paperweight.  I have no intention of using this as a hand held device like my Makita 4" angle grinder or it's big brother the 7" Milwaukee I have trouble holding up these days!!  I can see where having the trigger switch in the down position would be advantageous, but since the unit has a locking feature for the trigger, if all I used this for was as a static bench mount unit, why would it matter whether it was up or down?

Also, if the bench mount for this was a rare item, was the roller style chain to hold the grinder in the mount a factory part as well?  I think its fastened with a threaded wing nut and that didn't look overly secure,so some additional beefing might be in order there.  If nothing else, I could slap a buffing wheel on it and  put that log snout  to good use.  Migjht be pretty hard to slow down a 4000 rpm buffing wheel with a 12 amp motor behind it.....lol

thanks for the feedback and warnings fella.

DM&FS

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 01:45:50 AM »
No bullcrap Dim, exactly how near is the clocest paramedic to where you'll be suiciding?

My ancient math says that buff will have a speed in excess of 75,000 feet per minute.

Do you have Life Insurance?  How about loss of limb and blindness coverage?  Are they paid up?
Any chance you can have somebody video what happens when you tangle with that buff?
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:34:03 AM »
I guess we better have a chat with that Tools4You guy in ND....he's got one for sale with no guard and no stand and a wire wheel on the end of it for $125.......but then it's prettier than mine......

DM&FS

Offline rusty

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »
What it looked like in 1921

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
You vguysamaze me with your collection of old ads for tools.  Thanks a bunch.  For now, it's going to occupy the space i nthe shoo formerly held by the Joregsen wood clamps.  They migrated to a warmer climate....lol

DM&FS