Author Topic: Today's finds  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Today's finds
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »
Went out wrenching today in the lower Susquehanna Valley (PA) and came up with two unusual wrenches: a 14-inch wooden-handled Stillson type of pipe wrench with the Vicksburg & Meridian Railroad symbol (V & M) stamped on it; and a 6-inch Meadville steel-handled adjustable made by Meadville Wrench Co. of Meadville, PA.

The Vicksburg & Meridian Railroad was the result of a reorganization on January 28, 1867, of the Southern Railroad of Mississippi. The V & M was reorganized in May 1889 as the Alabama & Vicksburg.

Meadville Wrench Company wrenches generally look kind of scraggy.  It's evident that there was no quality control program in place at Meadville Wrench when these wrenches were produced.  This 6-inch adjustable was no exception.

Offline stanley62

Re: Today's finds
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »
Wish I could go wrenching on a Wednesday!!!  Nice finds...now I'm back to work...

Jim
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

Offline fliffy42

• Contributor
  • Leominster Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »
Wish I could go wrenching on a Wednesday!!!  Nice finds...now I'm back to work...

Jim

No kidding! Same here. I see you guys posting tuesday flea market & wednesday yard sale finds. I have to wait until the weekend to hunt most of the time except for the occasional friday estate sale or CL find.

ps..... NIce Wrench!!!!
Looking for Bluepoint X & XD Series Box Wrenches

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:33:03 PM »
>Meadville Wrench Company wrenches generally look kind of scraggy.

It is sorta funny, the only patent in datamp for them is a machine for making wrench heads.....

Makes you wonder just how good the machine really was....

I also have always gotten a kick out of wrenches that need another wrench to adjust them.....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline rusty

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:00:57 PM »

And I love the name of this company....

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
This response is aimed at giving Rusty a kick.  Wrench #1 is adjusted by Wrench #2.  Well, Rusty, how was that?

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 08:09:44 PM »
If Rusty didnt enjoy that I sure did!
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:13:08 PM »
I enjoyed it immensely!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:23:01 PM »
How about that!! A first for me.
 A wing-nut wrench to tighten the wing nuts on wrenches.
Never seen that before!
Thanks Tool Talk Forum.
Molon Labe

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »
 Curiouser & curiouser
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »
The Greek phrase Molōn labe! (Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Ancient Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), used above by a respondent, meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly spoken by King Leonidas I in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae. It corresponds roughly to the modern equivalent English phrase "over my dead body", "bring it on" or, most closely, "come and get it". It is an exemplary use of a laconic phrase. 

See, I didn't know all that.

Offline rusty

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »

Given that MrChuck is a retired ranger, i think i'll pass on the invitation - P

The wingnut wrench is kewl in it's own right, in as much as the whole idea of a wingnut is sorta undermined by having a wrench for it.

But....now...wingnuts come in different sizes, what if you don't have a full set of wingnut wrenches? Is there an adjustable wingnut wrench? and if so, do you need a monkey wrench to adjust it ?

Offline Branson

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 07:56:11 AM »
The wingnut wrench is kewl in it's own right, in as much as the whole idea of a wingnut is sorta undermined by having a wrench for it.
But....now...wingnuts come in different sizes, what if you don't have a full set of wingnut wrenches? Is there an adjustable wingnut wrench? and if so, do you need a monkey wrench to adjust it ?

Be the first on your block to collect the whole set!

On the other hand, I could have used a wing nut wrench any number of times.  Especially on an older CMan router that would never stay set for depth.  Ended up using some channel locks on that -- almost worked.

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 12:30:59 AM »
I really like that wing nut wrench.

There are wing nut sockets too.

All my taste is in my tools.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 05:58:35 AM »

Be the first on your block to collect the whole set!

On the other hand, I could have used a wing nut wrench any number of times.  Especially on an older CMan router that would never stay set for depth.  Ended up using some channel locks on that -- almost worked.
a wing nut wrench to sdjust a wing nutor a monkeyt wrench a wingnut or a wingnut o shit you guys are to much for an old man first thing in the mornin  bob w.
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART