Author Topic: Baker plane  (Read 5843 times)

Offline Branson

Baker plane
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:49:01 AM »
Maybe Wayne will be the most interested.  I found a #3 sized plane at the flea market that had seen so little use that the paper label on the cap is still there.  Virtually no wear on the tote or the knob, paint all intact.

This was the utility brand sold by Hamilton and Baker, as opposed to their top house brand, Stiletto.  I bought it, and a low knob 3-C, probably a Sargent for $30.  Not that I need another plane, or even another #3, but I couldn't resist the Baker, and its friend looked all lonely like.

lzenglish

Re: Baker plane
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »
Yes Wayne is very interested in anything from Baker and Hamilton, as they are a very big part of our West Coast Tool History,(as you know Branson). I would have to find out who made it for them, if I owned it. I have been looking to buy a B&H catalog for along time now, and will find one sooner or later. If you or any other member ever find one for sale, please let me know.

Nice looking Plane!

Wayne

Offline Branson

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:47:39 AM »
Yes Wayne is very interested in anything from Baker and Hamilton, as they are a very big part of our West Coast Tool History,(as you know Branson). I would have to find out who made it for them, if I owned it. I have been looking to buy a B&H catalog for along time now, and will find one sooner or later. If you or any other member ever find one for sale, please let me know.

Nice looking Plane!

Wayne

There is an 1893 catalog with the Sacramento Library -- see:
 http://www.sacramentohistory.org/search.php?imageid=1944

Then I found on a blog, from 2008:

"I collect Baker and Hamilton Catalogs. I notice A LOT of People are posting that they have them. But I can’t figure out any way to contact them. I may be reached at Jeepersmedia@aol.com or 860-426-9780 or 860-302-8834 Thanks, Mike"

I checked my favorite book search engine: http://www.dealoz.com/

They found one, but it had already sold.  However, there was a place to leave my email addy to be notified if another ever shows up.  If one shows, I'll post it here immediately.  Or you could check out the dealoz site and sign up, too.  I've had really good luck with dealoz.  They've found the best bargains in books for me.  I bought one book through them for $30 that cost as much as $250 elsewhere, and had an average price of over $100.

A few months ago, I found catalog #101 (1949) .  There were two copies, one at $75, and one at $15...  The cheaper one was delivered to my door by the seller, a local to us, Wayne. 

They're out there.

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:59:57 AM »
I'd like to find out who made it as well.  I'll check it out against some other #3 planes I have.  It's a relatively heavy casting -- thicker than the 3C I picked it up with.  I suspect that B&H spec'd heavy, as I have a Stiletto low angle block plane that is noticeably heavier than its Stanley counterpart.  If you find anything out, let me know.

lzenglish

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
Thanks for the great info. and links Branson. I have spent some time in the Sacramento Room at the County Library, and they had Very little B&H info., but I never made it to the Sac. State Library on the Capital Mall.
Anyway, I have a few feelers out from venders I ment at the Scottish Rite Temple Book Sale last year, so maybe with your new leads, I will find one eventually.

Wayne

PS. A couple of years ago, one of our members from Austraila (as I recall), said his buddy had one for sale for 1,200 bucks! Lol I don't need one that bad!

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 12:09:35 AM »
He hasn't sold it yet!   I dont think he will get any where near that, all  though it is early 1900s
Graeme

lzenglish

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
Aha!, it was you Graeme! Its all coming back to me now. They say the 1st thing to go is the memory, and they were right. You just never know, he may get 1,200 for it, if he finds the right buyer with deep pockets. I would not be surprised if the Historical Society, ot Library in Sacramento, or San Francisco would buy it from him?

Wayne

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 06:41:53 PM »
Wayne.
There is a Baker Hamilton cat.. #11 on US ebay! #320731211601
 He says 1920s I think it is latter I have cat.. #8  and it has parts for autos up to 1924! I think it would closer to 1940?
 Ask him to look up head gaskets the latest year model will give an aprox date.
Graeme
PS. Note There are NOT 3116 pages!   There are gaps in the numbering as they have added and deleted pages from cat.. to cat..
But it is a big catalogue.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:59:21 PM by anglesmith »

lzenglish

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Graeme, I'm all over it!

Wayne