Author Topic: Interesting eBay Lot - Includes Dudly Nipple Wrench  (Read 2374 times)

Offline RWalters

Interesting eBay Lot - Includes Dudly Nipple Wrench
« on: July 03, 2013, 11:24:36 PM »
While browsing through eBay tonight I saw a lot which might be of interest to someone on this forum. The item number is 111111954518 and it's listed as "VINTAGE TOOLS LOT measuring MACHINIST(?) starrett AMES dunlap driver MORE". There's a Craftsman sight level, a couple of what appear to be snap gauges or thickness gauges of some sort, a speed indicator, a Dunlap Midget screwdriver, maybe part of a set of trammel points and an item I thought might be of interest to folks here who collect bicycle wrenches. I at first thought it was some sort of hand vice, but when I looked up the patent date, May 29, 1894, it turns out it's a Dudly nipple wrench, apparently for tightening bicycle spokes. I have no idea if this wrench is uncommon or even interesting, but thought somebody here might be interested.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Interesting eBay Lot - Includes Dudly Nipple Wrench
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 11:32:32 PM »
 It is interesting.

Link to Ebay auction-  http://tinyurl.com/n4l5kgn
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:34:41 PM by Papaw »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline RWalters

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:59:44 PM »
Papaw, thanks for adding the picture. I posted this from my Kindle, and while it might be possible to add a picture with it, I wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:05:51 AM »
No problem.
The spoke wrench looks good. They often have the retention part broken off.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 02:08:44 AM »
WOW!! Factory engraved?

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »
Yes, that item in the bottom left corner sure looks like half of a set of trammel points, although it's missing the "point" part.  Originally, it would have had a metal scribing point with a shaft the diameter of a pencil, to fit in the clamp now occupied by a pencil.

Someone could still use that - drive a nail in a stick for the pivot point, clamp the trammel head to the stick at the radius of the circle you want, and draw your circle or arc.  More fun to have both parts, though, which is why I have a little length of lamp-switch chain holding the two parts of my Stanley trammel set together.  Some people would make a very short beam to clamp both points to, which is more elegant than my solution.

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
RWalters- thanks for posting that. I now know I have a Dunlap midget screwdriver.
Odd little piece.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »
Interesting lot.
  The trammel is a pretty common pattern, but useful for use with a stick and nail, like Bill said.
 (I do keep my Starretts clamped to a short rectangle stick, so they don't get separated.)

The spoke wrench is pretty common, especially a small sized Dudly. There are 1/2 a dozen others on ebay right now. It seems nobody knows what to charge for them. From 5 bucks to 125 for the exact same tool. I got mine in the neighborhood of 5.

The hand level is kind of modern but fun anyway. I wonder if there are people collecting these yet? Pretty gizmotic appliances if you ask me.  And enough people made them that you could build a collection, cheap. 

and what in the world were the deep throat thickness gauges for?
  I have one for guitar and similar work, but mine is twice as deep and probably weighs 1/2 as much. These are massive heavy. Really interesting.   

Oh, that engraved presentation Dudly is just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gaaaaaak!! Choking on drool.
       yours Scott