Author Topic: 2 old wood chisels, can anyone ID these?  (Read 5400 times)

Offline swervncarz

2 old wood chisels, can anyone ID these?
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »
I bought some tools, it had some old Stanley chisels. Also had these 2 but I cant make out the markings. Both seem like pretty good chisels but I would like to know a little more about them. Description & pics below, any help is much appreciated.

The one on top looks like it may say New Br..., then under has 4 patent dates 12-26-05, 7-28-08, 2-23-09, 8-24-09

The one on bottom looks like it may say "Bill" but definately has something before it & under it, I just can't make it out. Also has a bras ring around the top part of handle.

Offline rusty

Re: 2 old wood chisels, can anyone ID these?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:39:21 PM »
>2-23-09
Would be for the handle, with a kinked shaft so it won't spin in the handle.

>may say "Bill" but definately has something before it & under it
"Belongs to Bill"
"Bring it back"

Guessing Wood is the inventor for all the patents, probably these:
12-26-05   808,330   19051226    Wood,G.E.    Tool-handle.
 7-28-08   894,303   19080728    Wood,G.E.    Hand-tool.
 2-23-09   913,339   19090223    Wood,G.E.    Tool-handle.
   913,340   19090223    Wood,G.E.    Percussively-operated hand-tool.
 8-24-09   932,223   19090824    Wood,G.E.    Process of manufacturing tools.

NB: An earlier patent by wood (753,186) for a Screwdriver was assigned to Hurwood Mfg Co, of Plantsville...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:02:12 PM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »

Like rusty said all the patents were granted to George E. Wood of Southington and Plantsville, Conn.

From DATAMP for Feb. 23, 1909 patent entry"
This patent is for the "Everlasting" handle, primarily used on chisels and screwdrivers. It was first produced by G. E. Wood Tool Co., which was bought out by Stanley Rule & Level.

"My invention relates to the class of hand tools having a blade and shank of metal, the shank being arranged to received a handle of wood or other fibrous material, and which tools, as for instance a chisel, are adapted in use to receive blows upon the handle end of the tool, and the object of the invention is to provide a tool of the kind specified having numerous novel features of advantage and utility."

http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?pn=913340&id=18257

Other patents are at:

https://www.google.com/patents/US932223?dq=patent:932223&hl=en&sa=X&ei=TjXTUeqAHqiB0QH1hYHwBA&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA

https://www.google.com/patents?id=TtFYAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=patent:894303&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

https://www.google.com/patents?id=WOxtAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&dq=patent:808330&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Offline dowdstools

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 05:15:58 PM »
The mark on the larger chisel is probably UNDERHILL.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:31:54 PM »
The bottom one probably is Underhill. Its got the classic "beer mug socket".
 There is not much blade left now. It was once 6"+ long. Looks to be about 2" left.
 It might be good all the way up though. I would take a file to it and see. (file cuts? = no good.
 File skates off? = good! )
If its still good, call it a butt chisel or pocket chisel and be happy.
 Underhill is one of the best that ever was.

The top chisel looks to be a fairly inexpensive utility socket chisel. The handle appears to be stained med hardwood like poplar birch or alder. The lower quality lines used this material for sale as hardware brands, at the time it was made. 
      yours Scott

Offline dowdstools

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
Actually, Scott, the upper chisel is a George E. Wood, as rusty and Bus pointed out. It is the predecessor of the Stanley Everlast, and, while socketed, has a shaft that runs all the way through the handle, terminating in the metal cap you see on the end. Carpenters had a tendency to use their hammers on chisels, instead of mallets, and this feature would prevent splitting of the handle. That one would bring a little coin on eBay. I'm not sure what wood they used on the handles. It is slightly open grained like oak, but my guess is that it was hickory. I'd have to check one of my old Stanley catalogs to verify handle material, but, when new, they were a little pricier than other chisels, so they are not as common.

Lynn

Offline Helleri

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:59:19 AM »
I could swear that top lettering says New Bern. My mind is probably just filling in blanks. But New Bern (in North Carolina) stands out out to me trivially, because it is where pepsi-cola started...that took my brain on a little free association trip. I like the fat head one better because of that brass cap and pin, Looks really cool.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:00:52 AM by Helleri »

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
Not New Bern, but rather New Britain.  Home of The Stanley Rule & Level Co.  Some of the patent dates were on there after Stanley bought out Mr. Wood.  I have at least one and it is faintly marked also.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Helleri

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:45:02 PM »
Ah ok...Stanley's bread and butter seems to be in buying and selling ideas. Pretty much everything past them selling just measurement stuff, that I look up from my own finds, is something someone an-associated came up with and Stanley then promptly bought. I know a lot of companies tend to absorb lesser entities into their fold. But, Stanley seems like it has been especially good at staying in touch with the common need by sourcing the common man and backyard workshop inventor for it's product lines. Probably saves a ton on development as well.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 09:08:08 PM »
Ah ok...Stanley's bread and butter seems to be in buying and selling ideas. Pretty much everything past them selling just measurement stuff, that I look up from my own finds, is something someone an-associated came up with and Stanley then promptly bought. I know a lot of companies tend to absorb lesser entities into their fold. But, Stanley seems like it has been especially good at staying in touch with the common need by sourcing the common man and backyard workshop inventor for it's product lines. Probably saves a ton on development as well.

Many saw/see Stanley's reasoning for buying out others as more predatory than anything else.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/