Author Topic: Graham Bros ignition set  (Read 17331 times)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Re: Graham Bros ignition set
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »
There you go, thanks for that, dont tell me everything now, I am enjoying myself too much : ) but thanks again
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 08:11:46 PM »
I have been meaning to post this a few days ago when I finally was able to solve the mystery of this kit and this little wrench someone here so kindly sent me.

I am sorry but although maybe I should keep track I dont keep track of who sent me this little guy some time ago, will that person please step forward??

Anyway as it turns out by my purchase of this catalog the logo that is on the kit does not stand for Graham Brothers after all, it is Gilfillan Brothers instead.

Within this catalog I am able to see the kits that were manufactured by this company from 1916-1925 and on these pages I am able to identify every single wrench with certainty because of shape and most often even an identifying number found on the wrenches.

Catalog contains clear descriptions of the automobiles ( years included in many cases ) that each little wrench was intended for as well.

I have a feeling that Gilfillan Brothers took advantage of the Graham Brothers success by using a logo that is nearly identical to the earliest Graham logo but that was as is today common practice.

Maybe a little dissapointed that the kit technically has zero to do with any sort of original part of a Graham truck but not so much since in my opinion it is just as much a part of a 28 Graham as any other part of that truck since it spent the greater part of its life hiden underneath that seat with all those laundry slips.

Id like to know that Bus reads this so if you are than please make a note that you have done so, I know you are as passionate about these old tools as I am about these old cars
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:18:23 PM by 1930 »
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline Branson

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 08:48:41 AM »
At last we know what the little devil was made for!  That wrench came from me.   Glad to know more about it.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »
I just read the history of of the Dodge Brothers in an old Automobile Quarterly. There is mention of buying into Graham Brothers in 1928. I suggest that you score a copy on Ebay. It is Volume 17 number 1. It is quite a lengthy article and followed up by many pages of photos of pre 1930 cars. It was printed in 1979.

Here is one for less than $10 total.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automobile-Quarterly-Vol-17-No-1-/190665479100?pt=Magazines&hash=item2c648c53bc
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
1930, I read your post on Gilfillan Brothers. That's some good information I will add it to my logo page soon. Thanks.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »
I just read the history of of the Dodge Brothers in an old Automobile Quarterly. There is mention of buying into Graham Brothers in 1928. I suggest that you score a copy on Ebay. It is Volume 17 number 1. It is quite a lengthy article and followed up by many pages of photos of pre 1930 cars. It was printed in 1979.

Here is one for less than $10 total.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automobile-Quarterly-Vol-17-No-1-/190665479100?pt=Magazines&hash=item2c648c53bc
Yes I have this already and its a bit of a mess, scattered innacurate and partial facts, thanks though

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
At last we know what the little devil was made for!  That wrench came from me.   Glad to know more about it.
Thank-you again for the wrench

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 05:53:40 PM »
What a cool story and a fun investigation!!
 Research is like that. You never know where it'll lead.

I love the set too. Truly outstanding!!
Of course, I love little tools anyway hehehehe
  yours Scott

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »
quote.......fun investigation..........Thats for sure, its the search that I enjoy the most

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 03:40:03 AM »
Old thread, but running a Google search brings me here to this thread, so I'll pass along what I was able to ferret out after digging around on the web:

Gilfillan Bros., Inc., 1815 W. 16th St., Los Angeles, California
Makers of radios in the 1920s. First on the west coast to be able to manufacture the then-new "Bakelite". Manufactured automotive ignition parts (distributor caps, among other things) as well as small wrench sets for various distributors and magnetos. At some point got away from automotive and went "high tech", and became an industry leader in radar.

Logo stamped on the wrenches is a stylized "G B" inside a circle.

More information on the company: http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_hersteller_detail.cfm?company_id=2488 / http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=164411