Author Topic: Chrysler Wrenches  (Read 6572 times)

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
Chrysler Wrenches
« on: July 17, 2013, 06:24:26 AM »
I've seen discussions about Dodge & Maxwell wrenches but what about Chrysler?
I found a 1929 Chrysler Model 75 in a garage in Westchester county NY. I asked the 2nd owner about tools and he said there was a tool pouch mounted on the drivers door but they were "stuck" and he didn't want to damage the pouch getting them out.
Anyone know what's supposed to be in the tool kit?

Offline 1930

• Contributor
Re: Chrysler Wrenches
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »
When I discuss Dodge or Maxwell I am usually implying Chrysler, Plymouth, Desoto and in many cases Fargo. I have many of the Chrysler handbooks 1924-1930 or so and will post the tools page when my batteries are thru charging on my camera. Any chance we or I could get photos of the tools, possibly contact information for the owner for further prodding?
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 05:51:04 AM »
Aug 1929
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:57:11 AM »
I'll try to get some pictures when he returns from his vacation home on Lake Ontario. He bought the car about 20 years ago from the original owner. I believe the convertible top is original but the leather seat was replaced in 1933 because the guy left the top down during a thunderstorm.
I guess the car's tool kit should have #! - #5 wrenches, but like I said the tools are all stuck in the pouch and he didn't want to damage it.
BTW I got his car up and running after about 10 hours of work and now he's happier than a pig in DC.

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 06:07:30 AM »
Thanks for the picture. You posted it while I was writing. He has a model 75.
The tool pouch is mounted on the drivers door and now I'm wondering if it's original to the car.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 04:02:20 PM »
I will look for  the 75.

I have tried to cover all Chrysler makes but received zero cooperation from Chrysler owners and only about .5 percent cooperation from Desoto owners so I have stuck with Dodge and Plymouth. I do not  believe that there would be a tool pouch mounted on the door, tool kits were located under the seats in majority of cases, there would have been a door pouch for maps ect but have never seen a tool pouch mounted as you describe.

Clear pictures would be great, especially interested in a screwdriver but all pictures of tools would be possibly helpful. 

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 08:10:23 AM »
I was at a car show in Macungie Pa yesterday and ran into a guy who has 3 1929 Chryslers. He said that the convertibles have the tool kit mounted on the drivers door. Unfortunately he was not showing any today.
When the guy from NY returns, I will try to get some pictures.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »
I was at a car show in Macungie Pa yesterday and ran into a guy who has 3 1929 Chryslers. He said that the convertibles have the tool kit mounted on the drivers door. Unfortunately he was not showing any today.
When the guy from NY returns, I will try to get some pictures.
I have never heard this, interesting and thanks. Dodge nor Plymouth mounted a tool kit to the door in the early years

Offline strik9

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 11:51:32 PM »
1930, how close are you to compiling a list / pictures of Chrysler related tools for the late 20's to 30's?
    I have what I suspect are 3 DB pre '28 DOE wrenches and info on how to place them in history is scarce.

I managed to compile a 'guideline' type of history of the Ford model T tool kits content over the last two years.    Of course with Ford's famous fuzzy dates of change it is at best a guideline.

I'm thinking of starting the Ford A tool kit research for the same, then the others as possible.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 06:18:13 PM »
1930, how close are you to compiling a list / pictures of Chrysler related tools for the late 20's to 30's?
    I have what I suspect are 3 DB pre '28 DOE wrenches and info on how to place them in history is scarce.

I managed to compile a 'guideline' type of history of the Ford model T tool kits content over the last two years.    Of course with Ford's famous fuzzy dates of change it is at best a guideline.

I'm thinking of starting the Ford A tool kit research for the same, then the others as possible.
I have two large binders that contain quite a bit of information with pictures  collected over the past few years, there are unfortunately many of the original tool-kit items that I am still un-able to positively  identify for the majority of my particular years of interest ( 14-38 )

At this point I am still in the collecting information stage and do not expect that to change anytime soon unless something groundbreaking reveals itself.

I have a few other Dodge/Graham projects going on at the same time so I tend to rotate around to keep things moving.

Sounds like you also keep yourself busy with a very interesting topic

Offline eddie hudson

• NYC
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »
Well I finally saw the guy with the Chrysler and I'm very disappointed. The tool kit is indeed mounted on the drivers door but it appears that NONE of the tools are original. The oldest are 2 doe Vlchecks, and a 9" auto wrench.

Offline rusty

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 08:33:12 PM »
>disappointed

Be, perhaps, disappointed, but not surprised, it would be close to miracle status to find a toolkit in a nearly 100 year old car unmolested...

Remember, unlike todays cars, where toolkits are not much more than decorations, those things broke on a regular basis, in inconvenient places, at inconvenient times, prompting the utterance of curses and the throwing of tools....;P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Online skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »
Any word on 1930??

he is a great resource for us auto tool collectors
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »
Any word on 1930??

I still correspond on occasion via email.  I can send his email address via PM if needed.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline Branson

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
Any word on 1930??

Is he MIA?  Hope not.