Author Topic: School me on valve grinders  (Read 8825 times)

Offline Charles Garrett

Re: School me on valve grinders
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »
Check Pat # 1212002 for a hand valve grinder.  I have 3 sets of CURKO hand valve grinders that were made by Currier Koeth in Coudersport, PA  between 1909 & 1916.  Chuck Garrett

Offline Charles Garrett

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 08:25:28 PM »
For ahand grinder check Pat # 1212002.  Also I have 3 CURKOs that are similar and come in boxed kits.   Chuck Garrett

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 10:46:45 PM »
IF anyone is interested in very early valve grinding & valve "lifting" hand  tools, I've been working from a list published in 1917 & have added patents to DATAMP ranging from 1907 (Flexible Valve Lifter) to roughly 1920.  It is a work "in progress" but a print version will go to MVWC members with the March Newsletter.
I'm attaching one edited ad image as a sample.

Offline Aunt Phil

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 08:39:47 PM »
To further little Nola's (Devil made me) education; Valve & seat grinding were necessary in the time when seats were directly ground into the block casting into the early 50s.  Cast iron valve seats have a limited service life, particularly on the exhaust side, so the valve got pulled, a mandrel went in the stem hole and a stone with a hollow arbor sized to ride the mandrel ground the seat back to  a good workable surface. The stone was driven by a electric hand tool similar in appearance to a Milwaukee right angle drill.  Sioux and Black and Decker both made good quality drivers as did some others.

The valve itself if not excessively eroded was placed into the chuck of a bench mounted valve grinder and rotated against a spinning grinding wheel in a manner similar to tool post grinding in a lathe.  The facing angle of the valve was set on the bed of the grinder.

Preferred sequence was to grind all valves first, check to see if they were still usable against the seats, then grind the seats to match the valves. 

The wheel for grinding the seats was angled with an angle settable dresser to match the valves. 

After valve and seat were ground, it was generally necessary to remove material from the base of the stem to compensate for the valve sitting lower in the casting and get the proper valve setting.

The invention of Stelite insertable valve seats for blocks pretty much rendered the reseating half of the job obsolete, and sodium filled valves that dissipated heat better gave valves much longer life.  Auto Shop classes around here pretty much stopped teaching the job 20 years ago and sold the machines.  I bought 2 complete Sioux machines when they did and made a couple bucks selling them.

I should probably also point out when the valves were removed they were inserted into either a drilled board or piece of cardboard to maintain their location in the engine.  They were removed and worked 1 at a time, and a helpful kid who put them all in a Crisco can to save space could and did get his ass whipped for doing so.  I learned FAST!
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance!

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 11:52:09 PM »
Phil, good explanation.   Now how many people have one of the oversize yard sticks, with sixteen holes, evenly spaced down the length of it.   To hold the valves in order.  Besides, I want one. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 09:50:39 AM »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/