Author Topic: sows ear  (Read 2649 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
sows ear
« on: September 28, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »
 I have heard that you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. To test that theory I painted a Blackhawk cutout that was overdue for the scrap yard. Didn't waste a lot of time on it but it didn't turn into a silk purse. It did mask some of the defects and my warning is (avoid painted wrenchs when possible). Yes I own some painted wrenchs. At Baraboo I passed on a painted Owatonna and bought a nonpainted version of same wrench. Makes me sleep better not wondering whats under the paint.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline rusty

Re: sows ear
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 01:52:47 PM »
You didn't use enough bondo ;P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 01:54:11 PM »
I have heard that you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear. To test that theory I painted a Blackhawk cutout that was overdue for the scrap yard. Didn't waste a lot of time on it but it didn't turn into a silk purse. It did mask some of the defects and my warning is (avoid painted wrenchs when possible). Yes I own some painted wrenchs. At Baraboo I passed on a painted Owatonna and bought a nonpainted version of same wrench. Makes me sleep better not wondering whats under the paint.

+1,000

I've bought some painted wrenches, only when I was pretty darn sure they were good under it, and the price was good enough even if they weren't.

Offline amertrac

• Contributor
  • ny mountain man
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »
painted wrenches belong wired to a board
TO SOON ULD UND TO LATE SCHMART

Offline strik9

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
   I buy rust pitted and worn examples if it is a wrench I know will never get used.    It only has to represent the type or variation.

While my collection has no farm wrenches other than one Planet Jr. I do have a selection of early mechanic's and car kit tools as I can.   

What you gents collect must have higher resale value in the market than mine somehow, I get them cheap and can barely give them away at resale here.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline Carl Wagner

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »
The right farm wrenxhs have immense value. Certain cut out styles are well over the $1000 mark. Rare examples of certain makers are many hundreds. Its all in knowing what's what and what's rare.
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »
Its all in knowing what's what and what's rare.

I've found the same true of most things in life; including humans!
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717