Author Topic: To those with truck boxes, and also a few tool recomdations needed  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

So me and my friend are at the local hardware store picking some stuff up and just browsing around. We come back out and the toolbox in back is gone. Like literally the box and everything in it was gone. It was bolted down with a few mounts. It looks as iff they cut the mounts with a cordless saw or something like that. We talked to the store manager and filled out a police report but its still just a shame someone would do that.

Ime sorry to rant a little here but it just pisses me off when people steal stuff. I know times are tough but you dont steal. I want things to but not once have I stolen something. I work my but off for what I have, but I obtain it legally. I may be old fashion an not like other kids my age but I believe in working for what I have.

Anyway for the suggestions I need

First off my friend needs a new toobox for her truck so any cheap but good quality recomdations. We dont really care what it looks like but as long as it works. Were thinking of just welding it in, or bolting from the inside down some how.

Second off any recomdations on a good cordless drill and impact driver combo kit?

Third any recomendations on a good hydrulic floorjack?

And last any recomdations on a good set of tie downs that dont jam?

Thanks guys
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Dustin21

• Defiance Ohio
Re: To those with truck boxes, and also a few tool recomdations needed
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 05:16:52 AM »
 you talking crossover box  or side box ? i assume  cross over  box if so  i recomend the tsc   diamond  plate boxes  also i would recomend welding  GOOD thick lock hasp to the lid (one on each side if it opens from both and  doesnt have the one big lid)  the tiny push  button lock  that are put in them are easy to open... as for how  to secure it to the bed of the truck.... this might be a bit labor intensive but here you go .  you can find the steel truck boxes reasonablly prices on craigslist and sometimes at pawnshops

where the box sits on the sides drill 3  3/8 holes in the box thru the side (on each side of the truck)  buy yourself 6 3/8 carriage bolts about  8in inches long (maybe longer see  how   thick the the sides are that the box rides on im talking about that lip that comes out on the side of the bed ) ,6nuts to go with your bolts  buy about   18 1/2 flat washers  6 3/8 lock washers, then  the names escapes  me at the moment but  6 washers that have the serrated edges on one side..

stack  3 of the flat washers on the bolt  so it covers the hex part  and is a completely covered put a  serrated washer on next insert from bottom while in the truck bed put lockwasher on inside and bolt it on  maybe put some red loc tite on the threads they wont  have to be super  tight  just enough so they dont wiggle... 

you do that 3 times on each side  no one will be taking the box  off the back of the truck with out a lot of  noise being heard thats bound to grab someones  attention...

but i cant stress enough  that the locks on most truck boxes are  crap..,

for your other questions ...

i  use the dewalt cordless tools occasionally and there good im not sure which  models they are but ill find out,,

hydraulic jack... right now sears has a china one in a blowmolded case for 36bucks but i think its 1ton.  if your looking for something to lift alot of weight id suggest  a old walker  or blackhawk.. only ones i seen mentioned im used to using   the old cheapies like the sears one   dont feel like spending XXX on something thats a pain to carry around or move they held up to my use..

as for tie downs.  you got  a  place that  sells semi's/semi accessories near by ? they usually  carry the good ones but there not gonna be cheap.... if you also have a case  dealer nearby i know  they also carry  good tie downs  but again not cheap..

i love sk tools/boxes and indestro super/select tools if you have any for sale or want to part with let me know.  also need a  7/8 williams superench

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:54:18 AM »
Really sorry about your box and tools!! Must have been one hell of a brazen thief(s) to saw off the bolts like that in broad daylight!! They were looking at 2 to 10 with a high probability of getting caught, and for nothing they can sell for big dollars.
Pawn shops may try and charge you lot, but wait till you try to sell -them- something. 
 There isn't a lot of defense to idiots like that. Locks only keep honest people out.
  Fortunately, suicidal nut cases willing to take a huge risk for a small reward, are rare. Its not likely to ever happen again. Don't let it hurt you too much. Those low life's will still be low life's tomorrow.
 Living well is the best revenge. 

The bad news about floor jacks is, anything you buy new will be crap unless you are willing to spend more than I know you are.
The good news is, most all of the good old ones are re-buildable cheaply!
 So get a decent old one and put a kit into it. Stronger safer better.
 If you do buy a new one, buy it with your eyes closed. Pick it up.
 You buy your iron by the pound. If can pick it up easy, you don't want it. 

If you want my advise about battery tools, check the price of batteries.   Batteries are gong to die long before the tool is worn out. That is a given.
 Most times, they want the cost of batteries to be so high it'll force you into buying a new tool instead.
  So see what you can get new batteries for, up front, and take the best deal out of that.
    yours Scott
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:57:04 AM by scottg »

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:43:46 AM »
Dustin- Thank you very much, and yes it was a crossover toolbox. We will deffintly do a set up like that with bolts and washers from the inside. As far as locks we were noticing that to. Were not sure what we will do for locks but deffinitly something.

The cordless Ime not sure about yet. I am just gonna have to wait an get one. Probably a dewalt millwakee or bocsh combo kit.

I am looking on craigslist for a jack to rebuild for home, and just get a bottle jack in the truck in case we have to change a tire.

We were at a truck stop the other day and saw some nice ones and the gentlman we ran into also suggested Vulican Pro series tie downs. From a store called truck n tow. We think were gonna buy one to see how it goes. Here is the link   http://www.truckntow.com/c-147220-.aspx 

Scott-Its actually pretty unsafe how the parking in back is. Its a older store and you park in the back cause most of the time on the weekend parking in front witch isnt very much is taken up. Either way I wont let it get me down and I know its rare but its just a little agrivating when the working class work there but off for what they got and we cant even keep it without some low life stealing it. Ime sure as you said its not likely to happen again.

As of floor jacks ime checking craigslist for a good one to rebuild and we need to get a bottle jack to keep in the truck just in case a tire blowout or something.

The cordless tools are expensive combo kits. As far as batteries I know what you mean cause my one combo kit wore out the batteries but not the drill. I will deffintily keep that in mind thoe, when considering what to buy next.

Thank you to both of you
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »
I have had good results from - http://www.batteriesplus.com/
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 08:57:13 AM »
Someone sent me an Email with a video clip attached that shows how you can make a tool from a soda can that will open a standard combination lock. I haven't located it on the web as of yet but I am sure it is out there. Just be careful of the old standard combination locks. Of course there are always bolt cutters but this little gizmo fits into your pocket.

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »
Lewill you are referring to shims and they will work on many padlocks not just on the combination locks.

In general the most secure type of padlock is the "hockey puck" style with the guarded hasp like what's shown in the link (these are not the best prices but the first images of both I found in a search). http://www.dhdepot.com/american-lock-2000-series-hockey_puck_padlock-am2000kd.html

Place the keyway facing down to make picking and drilling more difficult.
All my taste is in my tools.

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »

Ditto, tho, almost *any* padlock is a vast improvment over those stupid handle locks they insist on putting on toolboxes. In most cases yanking hard on the handle will shear off the tiny little piece of metal that the handle is depending on to stay locked. I don't understand why noone has figured out that they need to make them the other way around like commercial door locks that shear the handle off and stay locked...

But, then, I still hacn't figured out why banks put expensive high security locks on doors that have glass in them either.....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 03:08:45 PM »
The reason truck toolboxes have the cheesy crap locks on them most likely is because the boxes are sold (and bought) by price point.
All my taste is in my tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
Bro, I feel your pain. I've had stuff stolen from my work truck, and it's a bummer!
I have an older Makita 9.6 volt cordless drill combo. The drill, two batteries, the charger, and a flashlight that uses the same batteries. I never use it, so I'd sell it to you cheap.
PM me if interested.
Ratchet Guru

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 07:32:15 PM »
Bro, I feel your pain. I've had stuff stolen from my work truck, and it's a bummer!
I have an older Makita 9.6 volt cordless drill combo. The drill, two batteries, the charger, and a flashlight that uses the same batteries. I never use it, so I'd sell it to you cheap.
PM me if interested.

Yeh it does suck, but it could of been worse somehow someway

And thanks for the offer but I picked up a dewalt combo kit from craigslist the other day thoe thanks again thoe
~Lee Greenwood