Author Topic: Hand Planes  (Read 104098 times)

Offline Jim C.

Re: Hand Planes
« Reply #765 on: July 10, 2018, 06:11:37 PM »
Here's a few extra photos that compare Stanley #289 parts (left) to Stanley #78 parts (right), as well as one lobed spurs to three lobed spurs.  Again, if you're considering buying a #289, make absolutely sure you're more than familiar with its correct fence assembly and the easily substituted, incorrect #78 fence assembly.  It could be a costly mistake if you get it wrong.  Stay tuned for #289 part 3. . . . Redemption.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:20:23 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #766 on: July 10, 2018, 06:33:02 PM »
Nice looking plow plane, looks like it might have the right hand style handle on it. It also looks like the bottom of the fence might be boxed with boxwood for better wear surface. I still have about 36 plow planes, at one time I had about 120. Too deep into wrenches now, with over 300 mostly odd ball adjustable and of course my Hilary Klein miniature collection.

Thanks for jumping in Les!  When it comes to old wooden plow planes, I'm happy to defer to your knowledge and expertise.

Jim C.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #767 on: July 10, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
Went back and reviewed the information on wooden plow planes, great information.  This one was my first wood one and I don't really intend to buy more, but then again who knows what will happen at the next farm/estate auction.  I once said "I will never collect planes" and now when I cataloged this plane it was No. 296 in the collection and I haven't finished with the 16 I bought at last Saturdays auction.   And, I'm really a wrench collector!!!!!  Also, I bought many more wrenches at the auction than planes.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #768 on: July 11, 2018, 05:38:10 AM »
Hey coolford,

You seem to have unexpectedly amassed an impressive collection of hand planes while being a “wrench collector.”  I’m not exactly sure how it happens, but one collection just seems to evolve into another collection.  I’ve been a serious plane user/collector for a while now.  I still collect planes, but only a few years back, I got hooked on Sears/Craftsman =V= era tools.  I’ve been trying to collect various tool box sets that are depicted in the 1960 Craftsman hand tool catalog.  Somewhere in all of this, I started looking for Williams obstruction wrenches too.  Those are harder to find than I thought they’d be.  I guess the search is part of the fun.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:37:33 PM by Jim C. »

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #769 on: July 11, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »
Jim C-----Ah me, should I tell you that I collect socket sets and that I have over 500.  I also have a lot of =v= Craftsman stuff that I pick up in box lots so I may have something you need??  I bought my first Craftsman socket set in 1950 when I was rebuilding the engine in a 1936 Dodge.  Unfortunately all my tools were stolen about 30 years ago and that included my 1950 socket set. However, I acquired the same period socket set at an auction a couple of years ago.  My collecting of tools actually started about 25 years ago when I retired from my job of 34 years. I have had an affinity for tools all my life and still use them frequently on my cars, gators and tractors.----Coolford

If you wonder where coolford came from, for years I restored 1959 Ford retractables, (the steel top convertibles) I had 11 at one time, but sold them all.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #770 on: July 11, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »
coolford,

Sounds like you’re a tool collector to the core.  I’ll send you a PM so we can talk a little more about Craftsman =V= tools.  I am looking for a couple things.  Thanks.

Jim C.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #771 on: July 11, 2018, 08:04:27 PM »
Welcome to part 2 of the Stanley #289 trilogy....  I hope you'll stay tuned for the third and last installment of my Stanley #289 saga.

Jim C.           

Fascinating and informative.  Thanks for sharing!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #772 on: July 11, 2018, 08:27:21 PM »
Hey Yadda,

Thanks for following the thread.  Stay tuned for one more post regarding the Stanley #289. 

Jim C.